price of viewfinders

<p>Does anyone konw why viewfinders are so breathtakingly expensive. Is it because I'm just an old timer who remembers 27 cents a gallon gas and have not come to grips with the reality of inflation? Even so, all of them, even Voigtlanders seem to me to be very overpriced. Unlike lenses they don't have focusing or aperture mechanismsand and are usually fewer elements. I also can't imagine those elements would have to be shaped with the same precision that lenses do. I sometimes wonder if companys cut the lens price to the bone and then try to make up for it by a big markup on accessory viewfinders. Does anyone else feel this way or am I an unreasonable cheapskate?</p>

<p>Hello John, you are absolutely and 100% right, I'm just at this moment searching for a 28mm viewfinder for my M8 with a 21mm that cost me used 1300$ and a used leica viewfinder cost around 40%. this is completely absurd, voigtlanders cost nex around 190$, and is just a piece of metal and some glass, that's all...</p>

<p>John, the least expensive VC VF models are about $130, I believe. Their least exprensive lenses are at least double or triple that price. Don't even think of Leica lenses in comparison. I don't know how many cutand polished elements they use (3? 4?), but they require well made metal bodies and alignment and are made in relatively few numbers that makes the conception and manufacturing set up costs an important part of the unit price. To the contrary, given the production numbers for VC and Leica gear, I am surprised that the VC viewfinders are reasonable in price. But I do agree that the Leica VFs are generally quite expensive, which is why I prefer VC finders.</p>

<p>Have a look at Hasselblad or larger format VFs. They are very expensive as well, even more so, which I think in large part relates also to the production costs. Imagine your favourite vehicle made in only 500 or 1000 numbers of units. Would its price be as low as you pay? I doubt it (my 97 Ford truck had design and tooling costs at $2 billion)! Viewfinders are not Chinese barbeques or cell phones.</p>

<p>I agree. I wound up buying Canon viewfinders for my other 2 Leica lenses. The style matches nicely the chrome finish on my IIIf. My conclusion is that it comes down to supply and demand. People recognize a camera lens but the viewfinder gets lost because people don't know what it is. <br>

My other thought was why does the finder really need glass in it? </p>

<p>Very good discussion and Glenn, thats a great idea. I have an M4-2 but if I ever use flash it would be on a bracket so I don't need the hot shoe feature. I was in the local Goodwill store looking at the collection of plastic cameras, all less than $5. Some of them have quite decent viewfinder optics that could be salvaged and fitted into a home made mount. To check the field of view I would take along my SLR fitted with a wide zoom for compairson. Sounds like a good winter project.</p>