Price of a Canon 5D

I having been looking into purchasing a Canon 5D most are priced close to $3000.

I found a few places that have them for $1300, $1019 and one even for $989.

What do you photogs make of this? Is this normal? I called the company and they

say they are new not refurbished or anything, they just sell on volume.

Would you buy this camera?

Thanks for your advice.

Jacqui

I would try to buy from Alan's camera in PA, B&H, Adorama, Samys Camera, Belair,

Brightscreen and other reputable dealers.

The damage to your blood pressure and cerebral function is not worth saving $50 or so!

For example, if there's anything wrong, these guys will honor the purchase.

The other "bargains" will not be delivered for months, will come with no warranty, charger

or software as that will be sold as an extra set of kits.

Worse, these could have been returned merchandise.

Been there, done it!

Asher Kelman

http://www.openphotographyforums.com

A friend just bought a 5D and 50/1.4 from Amazon. He paid only about $2000 after the $600 in rebates ($300 from the body, doubled because he bought a lens at the same time). Adjusted for inflation, this is cheaper than the Nikon F3 was when introduced in 1980 and now we don't have to pay for film and processing.

I just bought a 5D and a 50/1.4 yesterday for my nephew. Purchased through Amazon the total was $3099.95 (I chose Adorama as the supplier).

<p>

With the current $640.00 rebate...$300.00 for the 5D, $20.00 for the lens, doubled...the net price after rebate is $2459.95 for both items.

There are a lot of bait-and-switch scam artists out there, who advertise a VERY low price on gear, then make you phone in to confirm the order, at which time, a hard-sell artist informs you that the cheap camera you found on the website is the Korean-language version with the plastic mounts, you have to pay extra for the battery and the charger, and the whole thing is permanently on back-order (mostly because the camera never existed in the first place), but if you'd like to buy the American-spec version, they'll only charge you $1000 more than what all the reputable dealers are asking. But they'll also throw in a great Tamron lens (worth only $150, but they'll tell you it's worth $2000).

As a rule, if a place has the camera you want for a little less than the average price of what the reputable dealers are asking (such as Adorama and B&H), that's a good deal. If they have it for a lot less though, it's probably a scam.