Press Pass and Boxing

hwyblues

I posted a message recently on the Sports Photography Forum looking

for advice for taking pictures at a boxing match. The advice I

received was very helpful.

It looks like I will be attending the boxing match and will be given

a press pass.

The match will be broadcast and I expect a larg crowd.

I want to take full advantage of my situation, and yet do not want

to over step my bounds.

I would appreciate any advice as to what to expect, what I should do

to fully use the pass and what I should not do.

I do not want to be too timid and at the same time do not want to be

too bold either.

I intend to cross post this in the journalism form as well.

Well, I've never had a problem at cards going anywhere with mine. I often duck down into

the dressing rooms before the card and in between fights, and shoot the fighters getting

taped, loosening up, etc. I've never had a fighter or trainer object, and most of them enjoy

the attention; just be sensitive and don't go intruding on someone who appears to want to

focus by staying quiet and aloof.

During the fights, go wherever you're permitted, and shoot what you want--with a press

pass, you are assumed to have a job to do (don't worry about asking, just do it; someone

will let you know if you're where you don't belong). Just conduct yourself in a professional

manner--don't interfere with the proceedings or get in the way of the others who are

working, too, or obstruct the view of the paying customers--and you shouldn't have any

problems at all.

First of all, please don't cross-post. Cross-posts get deleted.

Second, what you can do varies by venue, by promoter, and by event. There is no way for anyone to predict what you will and won't be able to do at any given event. I've been allowed backstage and not been allowed backstage. I've been able to move around and shoot anywhere there was enough room to not get in anyone else's way, and I've been given one specific location. I've shot where the photographers were given one side at the curtain and I've shot where they are spread around the ring. I've had officials yell at me for shooting as far as I can get under the ropes and I've had officials not pay any attention. If ESPN is covering the event, expect more restrictions. We've had assigned locations at the events that ESPN covers.

Watch the entrances, there's sometimes good shots, watch the corners between rounds, and don't forget to shoot the round girls. Above all, watch the action and anticipate as much as possible. It's tough with all the fakes, but you can learn to do it. I shoot a couple of boxers at the training gyms for three weeks before a major night so that I'm on top of it. Talk to the boxers and offer them prints.

And look for advice from experienced boxing photographers. Take a look at their photos when you're looking for advice. It's the best way to find out what to do.

Nah, I can't improve on Jeff's remarks. Unless I dig back into the archives and copy what I've written before to this thread.

All good coverage starts with access. No access, no pix.

Good sports coverage comes with knowing the sport. I was an amateur boxer but I'd probably know what to look for if I hadn't been. I've watched the sport since I was a kid and always had a knack for the game.

I know squat about football other than what I hear on TV, so my football pix are hit or miss. Same with basketball. All I know about racing is that the crashes are fun to photograph, as long as nobody gets hurt, and the best place to shoot at Texas Motor Speedway if you don't have press access is from the nosebleed section overlooking Turn 1. Turn 1 is in the shade during the afternoon so the pavement is a bit cooler. The cars are heading flat out from the straightaway, skitter on the cooler pavement on Turn 1, then smoke the tires when they reenter the sunlit pavement exiting the turn. Lotsa fun and all you need is a decent 300mm lens and a case of beer.