Premier Art Print shield Alternative

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by darryl_romm, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Hi

    Sorry for starting a new thread for essentially the same issue. I am
    using Epson Velvet Fine Art on R2400

    The Print Shield is not available in the UK, nor is something that can
    be exported.

    I can get Clearshied LL matte but it is insanely expensive (ᆪ35 for a
    quart) and 6 week delivery time for it. I am then being told to apply
    it with a brush or a roller, and I just don't fancy doing that (it
    seems unlikely that it will be as invisible as I would like, and I can
    just imagine brush strokes being left).

    Using a previous posting on this forum, visited here:

    and I am now very confused. The last paragraph has stumped me.

    ムA last word: Just keep this fact in mind, pigmented prints left
    unprotected and then displayed inside but under brighter daylit
    circumstance, will begin to show the effects of print fade out in as
    little as three years.メ

    This is completely contradictory to this

    Is there anyone in the UK, that has used Clearshield using a brush or
    roller, or can anyone else suggest another product readily available
    in the UK.

    I believe Lumijet Spray is suitable for the Hahnemuhle range of paper,
    but is it compatible with other grades of paper? Has anyone used it?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Sorry I am not too sure how to post live links here. in my original post should be replaced with:
  3. Lumijet Image Shield appears to be identical to Print Shield and should work as well on any inkjet paper. The price seems to be a bit higher, but a spray can does quite a few prints. I usually give a print 3 coats of Print Shield.
  4. I have a quart of the Clearshield. Believe me, it can be sprayed. You just need a spraygun to do it. If applied by roller, it can be done so that no texture is apparent. You have to use a micro-foam roller.

    See this page: to see the type of roller needed.

    You need to thin the coating by at least 30% to get it to apply evenly. Read the Inkjet Art pages on the Glamour 2, and you'll get the idea on how it should be applied. All of the water-based coatings are basically the same type of resin compound.

    They have no odor, and are milky white in the container. They dry clear. The Glamour 2 takes about 30 minutes to dry if rolled on and about 10 minutes if sprayed. The PrintShield ECO takes a bit longer to dry. I'm still expirementing with the Clearshield to get the best application rate.

    I'm not familiar with the Lumijet spray. However, I have used the Lyson spray and it works fine too.

    What you may want to do is go to a local sign shop that uses wide format printers for making signs and ask them what they use for a UV coating for their signs, vehicle wraps, etc. Ask them where they purchase their sign products.

    I purchased the Clearshield from a sign products wholesaler. It cost $25 US for the quart and that included shipping. There must be a sign products wholesaler somewhere in the UK that you could contact to see what products they stock.

    Also, a quart will cover a lot of material. It needs to be thinned to be used in a spraygun, so you really have about 1.5 quarts of material after it's thinned. The liquids are far more cost effective than aerosol cans. I figure it costs about .50 cents (US) to coat a 13x19 print with the liquid sprayed on. With an aerosol can, I could coat about twelve prints at a cost of $15 per can.
  5. Spearhead

    Spearhead Moderator Staff Member

    I've used Lumijet, Lyson and PrintShield sprays. They all seem to be the same thing underneat the label. Lyson should be avialble in the UK.
  6. Another one to use is Super Frog Frog Juice. Mostly used for outdoor signs printed on vinyl but can be used for photographs. Also expensive.

    Krylon Cyrstal Clear & UV sprays are other alternatives.

  7. Just a quick thank you to all that have responded.

    Steve you a special thank you for your info.



Share This Page