Precautions against theft of photo equipment

tony-mistretta

I will be travelling to Italy for the first time this year, and I am

planning on bringing my digital SLR and two lenses. I will be

travelling by bus on an orgaanized tour to all of the most popular

tourist areas, Rome, Venice, Florence, just to name a few. I

understand that tourists are often victim to street theft in these

areas, and I am looking for pointers on how to minimize my risk.

The SLR with one lens will be carried in a hip holster bag strapped

around my waist, while the spare lens will be in a small bag

attached to my belt. Of couse, the SLR will often be out of the bag

in my hands while I am taking pictures. Any advice from those

experienced in photo travel will be appreciated.

I go to Italy 2 or 3 times per year. I know there's always a first

time but I have never felt in danger of being robbed in any of the

cities you mention. Obviously, you will need to be wary of

pickpockets in tourist hotspots or at busy railway stations, etc.

but there is very little risk of being openly robbed (i.e. mugged) -

even at night.

Been to Rome only in May (outside the worst tourist season), had absolutely no problem. Nothing taken, in fact nobody even tried to sell me anything. Had a similar setup as you, so looked reasonably touristy even if I used a collared shirt and trousers instead of shorts and t-shirt (hey, it was only +30C after all). Romans were very friendly and nice, and went out of their way to help me when I had problems with e.g. buses and trains. YMMV, of course, and beware of gangs of gypsy kids - one friend got ripped off by them selling flowers & going through pockets at the same time.

Once non-locals asked me to take a photo of them with their camera (a crummy, beat up p&s) and then offered to return the favour with my SLR. Probably not a scam attempt but I declined anyway, was not interested in "me & St. Peter" type of photo.

My wife and I were mugged in Rome (near the Roman forum). I ended up wrestling with a gypsie women until her kids dropped my wife's wallet. We also were hit in a Paris subway-my wife actually got our wallet back by separating the pick-pockets fingers from my wallet as it was unzipped out of a front pocket. I know that makes me look clueless, but they were running a scam keeping me occupied with something one of them had dropped in the subway. We ran into several tourists who had been robbed in Italy (Rome and Venice) and not just Americans. Do not underestimate their talents.

We were not especially well dressed, in fact we were keeping a low profile. It really didn't matter.

You will see a lot of people wearing backpack on their front. Not a bad idea.

Never keep a bunch of cash or important documents (passports) in a wallet, easily accessed fanny pack, or back zipper on a backpack. Keep what you need easily accessable and the rest in a money belt or necklace.

Photocopy your Passport and keep a copy of it in your luggage.

In Rome there are a few bus routes that are infamous for housing professional thieves.

Often a large group of kids are used by a lot of pro thieves. You also have little action as they scatter after they rob you.

All that said my four lenses and two cameras made it back, all in a backpack.

I was pick-pocketed in Rome by a bunch of Gypsy (Roma) girls:

They used sheets of cardboard to block your view and pinched my arms so I couldn't feel their hands in my rather tight front pocket; did I say that the food is GREAT.

Got only a few Lira, but left My Elmarit (Leica, if you didn't know) and my wallet in my loose jacket pocket. Not the smartest people.

Hello Tony, there is very little to add to the above - these guys have given you a full picture. The risk of being openly robbed is really low; you must be aware of picpokets, who usually take advantage of specific situations (such as public transport - buses, subway - or crowded areas in general). Most of them are not italian - gypsy, albanians and south americans (no offence, of course). With regard to well dressing and keeping a low profile, it does not really matter - do not flash your possessions, this is a good advice always and everywhere (not only in Italy). I hope you'll enjoy your trip - you will certainly have plenty of possibilities to take good pictures. By the way, I'm italian and live in Italy all the year round.

Si, lots of great advice: keep a low profile. Be aware of your surroundings. Take copies of all important documents. Split your money between several pockets.<p>Wrt to "ballistic nylon": it's called that because it was used for flak jackets in WWII--several layers of it would slow down grenade fragments and even stop small slower ones. The stuff is <u>not</u> capable of stopping a knive or razor blade. (Neither is kevlar btw. That's why cops sometimes get stabbed through their body armor.)<p>Do <b><i>not</i></b> wear shorts! A T-shirt is OK if it has short sleeves, but most churches will not let you enter if you wear clothing that does not cover your knees and shoulders. (Ladies: no short skirts, please!). Some churches don't just put up signs but actually have guards who will stop you if you're dressed "inadequately".

I just returned from 6 months in the British Isles, with side trips to Venice, Florence, Montpellier, Oslo, and Barcelona. The important thing to say is that most European cities feel, and are, far safer than American cities, even when one has to acknowledge that bad things can happen anywhere. One should take precautions, of course, but mostly the streets seem lively and safe, with men and women out at all hours everywhere we went.

But one should be prudent and careful when one is a long way from home. I carried a body and three lenses most everywhere. Put the body and one lens around my neck and the other two lenses (plus film, etc) in a small pack around my waist. Wore a hip-length jacket all the time, which covered straps and allowed me to put my wallet in the inside pocket of the jacket where it was buttoned in. Figured the more layers I put between me and any would-be thief was a good thing. With one exception, I had no problems at all. Yes, the Gypsies were out; they were all over southern Europe, usually operating alone, begging for money. We had been warned to watch out for them so developed a habit of just saying "no" to all appeals. When more than one showed up we got EXTRA cautious and headed for the exit. Otherwise, we were fine, indeed more than fine.

The one exception -- in Oslo, where there were no Gypsies, I forgot to put my wallet in my jacket pocket one day. As I was getting on a bus and dealing with the fare, I felt something and reached quickly back to feel my wallet halfway out of my hip pocket. Fortunately for me, I caught it in time -- the guy trying to get it stepped off the bus and ran away.

My advice -- no need to be fearful, just prudent, vigilant, and careful. Keep up with your stuff and enjoy the wonders of the country. You will have a great time and get great shots.

In fact, since you are going with a tour group you may find that the biggest challenge you face is their getting in your way. Consider getting up early and wandering the streets of the city for a couple of hours or so before breakfast -- the light is great and the streets are filled with signs of the city coming to life. I did this in Venice during the run-up to Carnivale and found a dozen Venetians in full and elaborate costumes wandering the streets around San Marco looking for the opportunity to pose for photographers looking for great shots. There were a bunch of shooters there, too. A great time!

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know how you're travelling around Italy, but note that the baggage handlers often have light fingers. Until recently, it was an organised racket in Venice airport - broken by a big undercover police operation, but no doubt it will start up again on a smaller scale soon. Don't leave anything in easily accessible baggage pockets and lock suitcases.

• 2 weeks later...

I put most cash, credit cards, return ticket and passport in money belt. I put one credit card and pocket cash in front pocket. I then put muggers wallet containing expired driver license, several expired credit cards and expired company ID and a few dollars in local currency in back pocket.

I keep all gear in pack pack on my back with luggage locks if I think it's necessary. Alway have waist belt on. I have camera and lens that I'm shooting with hanging from hand with strap warpped around my wrist three or four times. The theory is one it will not be an easy target for a grab and run and, two the crook will have to bend down to get at it, making it easier to knock them to the ground. I worry more about hotel break-ins so I carry all my gear with me except for tripod.

When I eat at resturants especally sidewalk cafes, which iI love, I loop the camera strap around back of chair and put the camera through loop, to prevent a grab and run.

Been in a lot of questionable late at night even after a few drinks and haven't had any problems.

The best advice is to stay alert and to, of course, enjoy yourself.