Praktica MTL5 light meter

<p>There were some thread http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00VBsT , its related but a bit old, so I started new one.<br>

so<br>

at that thread you may see some table with meter operational ranges,<br>

the problem is that after I select 1/1000 meter stops working not on ASA 65, but at ASA 200... it also stops working with 1/500 when I set ASA 100..<br>

that's not some huge problem(for now), as the summer is already gone, and short shutters will not be needed for more than 6 months, but....<br>

does my meter needs some calibration/fix?</p>

<p>Are the exposures still alright when the meter does work? Is the battery fresh?<br>

To me another possible reason could be something inside the shutter speed knob has shifted out of place by a stop.<br>

Not sure about how to go about disassembling the knob exactly. If it's similar to the Yashica TL-Electro then the top disk of the knob is glued over a screw holding it together. Best to confirm this though. ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Marius</strong> Hi! You may want to try this post from a couple of years ago. The discussion is quite detailed regarding the calibration of the MTL5 meter. I hope it helps you. Best, sp.</p>

<ul>

<li>

<h2 ><a href="00QTcl?start=30" target="_top">Buying Praktica MTL 5 - what to look for? - Photo <strong>...</strong> - Photo.net Home</a></h2>

</li>

<li> Chris <strong>Dzombak</strong> , Aug 13, 2008; 10:16 p.m. <strong>...</strong> Chris <strong>Dzombak</strong> , Aug 14, 2008; 08:16 a.m. <strong>....</strong> Chris <strong>Dzombak</strong> , Aug 15, 2008; 08:30 a.m. <strong>...</strong><br />photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00QTcl?start=30</li>

</ul>

The range is limited, on purpose, by the manufacturer, but as you know Marius, not like this. Full range (i.e. metering at all speeds from 1 second through 1/1000 second) only at 80 ASA, faster speeds dropping off going below that, slower speeds when setting film speeds higher than 80 ASA.<br>I think it very likely that someone took the camera apart and not put it back together again properly, i.e. without aligning the bits properly. The thread linked to above explains how to line things up properly again.

<p>Yesterday, I took a closer look at camera's bottom, all screws looks new, without marks. It looks like it wasn't opened. I guess there is a small chance it is defected right from factory.<br>

As I understand from reading that 7 page thread, the problem hides somewhere behind bottom plate.<br>

It would be nice if person having already ripped apart similar camera, could model such behavior.<br>

p.s.<br>

I was already looking for a screwdriver, when wife said "NO, You will not take apart working camera" and took away screwdriver right from my hands. Gonna have to wait till end of week, hide somewhere and try to do some magic.</p>