praktica mtl3 is it a good user?

Michael, as per my earlier post Praktica is a good shooter when they work but quality check was not a priority in the DDR where they were made. I used Praktica MTL 3-5 for about 7-8 years back in the '80 and never had a problem but at that time they were brand new. I tried to re-connect tradition and bought several Prakticas here hellas, none are in working condition. Sure, exceptions are always possible I wish yours is good. I wonder how do you use an electric lens to MTL3 which is automatic (mechanical lever for the aperture). In manual mode perhaps.

What to look out for?

The self-timer almost never works. The meter on mine is pretty close but tends to underexpose in dim light (I tried it with a CRIS battery adapter and it was still a problem).

They are loud, and the shutter (or mirror, perhaps) has quite a kick to it. Not nearly as smooth as most modern SLRs.

Aside from that, they're pretty durable.

Mine works just fine with alkaline batteries too. 1/2 a won't make much of a difference with negative film... if in doubt, overexpose.

Mine is very solid, but like most older cameras, the light meter isn't sensitive enough for low light shooting.

Welcome to the world of m42 cameras and lenses.

Probably the most trouble prone of all the popular SLRs. The shutter is a very weak point. Top and bottom plates , even the lens mount is plastic. Prone to losing screws, self-timer levers, winder trim and rewind knobs. Basicaly, anything that can fall off may. As someone previously said, when they work they are ok. I would not use one without a backup camera.

well OK,I have a 50,which I thought was an evolved 5,which I thought was an evolved 3.Mine has metal top and bottom plates,and lens mount,

horizontal metal focal plane shutter,that's like a rock-very little plastic.I've been beating the crap out of it for 3-4 years as my regular carry around/car camera SLR and it hasn't missed a beat yet. I don't even have a case for it,and nothing has fallen off yet. I bought a couple of Super Taks for it and,well this camera($42.00 shipping included) doesn't owe me a thing-

I ignore the meter with extreme prejudice

They have always been cheap and never got much respect, but if you have one that has worked reliably up to date you propably have a good one that, treated with some care, won't give you much trouble. Shoot a film, find out if the shutter and the meter work porperly, mayby get a second body as a backup, enjoy some of the cheap but fine Carl Zeiss Jena MC lenses, and don't care too much about those who want to tell you this is crap.