PRAKTICA MTL 5B REPAIR

<p>People who are interested in what this one is like: -><br>

http://www.praktica-collector.de/214_Praktica_MTL5B.htm</p>

<p>For repairs, the number one reanimator of older Prakticas and other East-Bloc cameras is <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=3667779">Subbarayan Prasanna</a> although this one may be a little new for him.</p>

<p>I've amassed a lot of these old Ossies, but almost all them came still working (except for the meters), so I have little experience in repairing them.</p><div>00ciV3-549893984.jpg.81ca5212c48fa97ebb3cf559e917b27e.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks, Gordon, I hadn't seen that one. I saved a pdf of it.</p>

<p>By the way, the L series are the best of the Prakticas IMHO, and they are mostly very similar in layout, so Morris' instructions cover a lot of ground.</p>

<p>Hi Mark!<br>

Yes, please do look up Morris's report. He was in touch with Steve Shepherd and me when he was confronted with the Praktica problem. He is a great mechanic, very intuitive and precise.<br>

To answer your questions; (1) on the lens mount plate. There is a black flat ring [made of plastic in most cases] around the threaded mount. Just flip that out with a sharp needle. Then you will find the mounting screws. I think there will be four of them. You can tighten them with even pressure and then set the Black plastic ring again. <br>

(2) For tightening the flash shoe you need to remove the top plate after removing the wind-on lever, the speed selector and the rewind knob. <strong>Be careful not to shut the back door after you remove the rewind knob.</strong> It snaps shut and the lever is operated by pulling the rewind knob. in case it gets shut accidentally, you will have to remove the bottom plate and then reach the snap lever to pry it loose. Not an impossible job; but it can be irritating and cumbersome. <br>

Once you remove the top plate you will be able to reach the screws to tighten the hot shoe. Some hot shoes have a sliding plate on top of the screws. you may have to lift the front of the plate and push it back. In some the screws will be accessible even under this plate. It depends on which screws are loose. if they are just under this plate then try them first. You may not need to remove the top.<br>

I am writing all this from memory. The Praktica L-series, though similar have small variations and can differ from batch to batch. They are said to have turned out one camera every 30 seconds on their assembly line. So their could be differences on the input side and between parallel assembly lines too.<br>

All the best; let me know if I can be of assistance any more. Regards, sp</p>

<p>Mark Hi!<br>

Just checked my L-series cameras. I think that you may not need to remove the top plate. Just slide the small cover over the hot shoe and it should reveal three screws. These screws are anchored to a plate underneath. Try tightening them and that should set things right, unless the anchoring plate inside has fallen loose of the screws. In such a case you may have to remove the top plate fully. Best, sp.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi all!<br>

I bought a beautiful Practica 5B a few days ago as an introduction into photography.<br>

Everything seems to work fine, only, the shutter speed doesn´t seem to change. I tried it out a few times but you can easily tell from the sound, that the shutter speed stays constant with any setting of the shutter speed knob.<br>

Now, what could be the problem? I´m guessing it´s a mechanical issue. Does anyone have the repair manual and could re-upload it? Unfortunately the link (<a href="http://users.skynet.be/morris/praktica/index.htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://users.skynet.be/morris/praktica/index.htm</a>) is not working anymore.</p>

<p>As I´m a total newbie to photography, and especially analog photography, I would be very thankful for any hints!</p>

<p>Best<br>

Jan </p>

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thank you for the info about removing the plastic ring to reveal the lens mount screws. It was very useful. Though removal of the plastic ring is very fiddly and it is difficult not to damage the edge of the plastic ring, though this in no way affects the camera performance. I really enjoy visiting this site. It is always full of useful information provided in a friendly and helpful manner.