Practive Makes Perfect, so they say

Laura Weishaupt

1922090986_Canonthurs10.JPG.342d69b3395bdb18fa8f4265d8e92b7d.JPG This is my first thread in the new site. Please join in so we can figure out how to make it go. With practice maybe we'll have it down by the next MiN. Post multiple images, just keep it nature. Let's kick the tires on the new site and see what happens. I've turned on the "Watch this thread" option. I've no idea what that means, so let's find out.

Bill,

The e-mail alert worked, and I even saw your avatar in color! I do wish the paragraph break would work, It does when typing, but not in the post. Stay with it. There are some helpful hints over in site help, but you need to work through the other posts. It's quiet in Nature. What size image did you post?

Interesting that the time must be wrong. It shows the original post here as 11:48 AM on Feb 8. I don't believe that could be accurate for anyplace in the US.

Also cumbersome is the fact that I have had to log in every time I go to the photo.net and want to see anything or comment. Then when you sign in it takes you to your profile page and you have to navigate back to the page you were on. Definitely some bugs to work out.

Rod,

I didn't notice the time stamp until you mentioned it. At least the date and AM are correct, so 2 outta 3 ain't bad. I'm not sure how they set the clock, maybe it's on GMT. That would make more sense given when I made the original post. I'm also having to log in each session, but it's holding the log in information, so that helps. I too would prefer going to the photo.net home page upon log in, but if the portfolio is default perhaps we can live with it. Overall the site is better than the last revision. As you say, bugs to work out, but that's a vast improvement over than DOA.

David,

Glad you were able to make things work in the modern era. Yeah! Now if we could just get paragraph breaks without extra effort. This was a problem before and I'm surprised that it was not fixed.

(spaced over to the right margin on that one)

Leslie, pardon my being dense, but what does that mean? Nice Lepiota btw.

Oops, I got the terminology on the page wrong--not the profile page. I clicked on my name in the upper right hand corner of the screen, and that opened a pull-down menu that had "preferences" as one of the options. I went into that, and found the time zone listed there. ............................

And my cryptic remark would have made sense if the method I'd been trying had actually resulted in a paragraph break, which it didn't -- I'd tried adding spaces to the right of the last word before my intended paragraph break, then added "..." so I'd know where the spaces ended and to try to lock the spaces in. Didn't work. The spaces just disappeared. On another thread I inserted an entire line of periods at the end of each paragraph so people could at least see where the intended paragraph breaks were to have been. Ugly, but more legible than without it.............................I'm using an abbreviated version of that here..............................Looks like you got a paragraph break when you included the quote--did that happen automatically, or did you find a way to enter one? And thanks for the comment on the Lepiota!

• 1000 seems to work. I saw mention of other sizes elsewhere. I'll keep 1000 pixels in the intro.

• Paragraph break happened automatically with the insert/quote function. I did finally find the right page to fix the time.
  • I was able to edit a post 30 minutes later, which is cool.
  • So, here I'm using the order list function to separate ideas since there aren't paragraph breaks. On the last revision I wrote "paragraph" in bold to mark them.

• Images look good!

James Dainis has a solution to the paragraph break problem in the Additional Topics/Test Postings/Fake paragraph break thread. <p>   <p>A brief description: type in < p> without a space between the < and the p to get a line break, <p>type in < p> & nbsp; < p> without spaces between the < and the p or between the & and the nbsp; to get a blank line between paragraphs.<p>It's probably best to head over to that forum and see the description James gave. Edited by Leslie Reid