PowerBook G4 15??

Don't count on a Powerbook G5 any time before autumn. The current generation of G5

chips simply run too hot to go into a laptop, but cooler-running ones will probably be

out by the end of the year.

In the mean time, Apple is expected to announce speed-bumped G4-based laptops

next week, possibly with a small price reduction.

i use a 12" g4 powerbook. it's a great piece of equipment but the screen isn't as bright as i

think it should be. when i calibrate it with my gretagmacbeth eye-one i can only get it up

to about 100 lumens. i have a 15" apple studio display that i use in the studio and that will

go up above 160 lumens. the display on the powerbook is cooler than the studio display.

the prints match the studio display much better than the powerbook. this is not a

complaint about the powerbook. i love it. just be aware that it isn't as bright as an external

display and make adjustments accordingly.

Thank you very much my friends but I'm a bit confused with your answers. To be honest I already worked with both systems. I had no crush with any, they are just computers, machines ;-) Can I rely on the powerbook G4 screen or not to get perfect prints without to much proofing? Even with calibration my sony vaio tft screen could not show details in the highlights (one stop is fully burnt whatever settings I apply to it).

mondiani...

yes you can perfect prints, but you have to do some extra work. here's what i do... i

calibrate my screen with eye-one. then i get the print to look the way i want it (whether it

be on the powerbook screen or the studio display). before printing i apply an action i

wrote for each monitor that creates adjustment layers (curves, levels, whatever is needed)

so that the printer output is the same as the screen display. you have work on an image,

print a test print to see how close it matches the display and then make the adjustment

layers as needed. this way you can always get the print to match the display.

david

Hello David, you mean even with a calibrated screen you need to rework your files after some profing? Then what if you print them with another printer or give them to a professional lab? If I fully understand you there will always be some slight variations... tough nearly invisible to most (including me)

Hello .[.Z<br>

Well I know there is no obligation to comment when you give ratings, but I will really appreciate if you do so. Can you pick up at least 3 (or more :p) photos that you think a comment from you will help me to do better photos? Thank you

<i><blockquote> Apple is expected to announce speed-bumped G4-based laptops

next week, possibly with a small price reduction. </blockquote> </i><p>

This indeed has happened, with new, speed-bumped Powerbook models starting at US

$1,499. <p>

iBook models have not changed (prices starting at US $999).