Power problem with the Elan ll

pa-paw

The battery indicator blinks and the camera won't power up. I've

switched batteries with our old Rebel, so I know that the battery is

good. I've cleaned the terminals,switched lenses, and it's still

dead. The wife loves the old camera, but I'm not sure if I want to

spend a hundred plus on it. Any "fix it" suggestions? Thanks I-A.

John

(in Dallas, Tex.)

Try pushing on the battery door (when its closed) to increase the pressure on the contacts.

If that works, you can just cut a piece of rubber band and put it inside the battery door to

make the battery more snug.

The really old Elan II had this problem. Later versions had a metal bump inside the battery

door that fixed the problem.

Agree it's a great camera and worth saving. It's the only Canon that got mirror lock-up

right (including the "1" line and the whole digital line up), but that's another story.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. It looks like we have a boat anchor here. I've tried everything but the tin foil deal, and nothing works.I emailed a lady who had a simular problem, back in Dec. of last year, with her Elan ll. I got her response today.....

"The minimum cost quote I got for repairing it was almost as much as buying a new camera body. So I decided to buy a new camera body. The other one was six years old, so I was gun shy of putting a lot of money ito it and then having other problems."

Sorry that I can not be of more help.

Carol

I somehow fixed the wife's Elan ll. After fooling around with all the buttons and knobs, I opened the film compartment and shut it again. That did the trick. The camera is up and running again, and the wife owes me, big time. Thanks for everyones suggestions......JCB