POW 9-27-09

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by steve_t.|1, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Well, it's after midnight on the east coast now.
    Lake Tahoe, from the Nevada side. Boy, could I see myself living here... K20D, Sigma 10-20mm.
    [​IMG]

2. Sweet pic Steve! Dave, sorry but I did not write the name of the flower you commented on last week, oops! I have two sunsets from Acadia.
    Acadia Sunset 1 K10D / Pentax DA 16-45 @ 26mm / 1/15sec / f6.7 / ISO 100 / Tripod mounted [​IMG] Acadia Sunset 2 / The Porcupine Islands named from Native American lore
    K10D / Pentax 16-45 @ 16mm / 1/15 sec / f11.0 / ISO 100 / Tripod [​IMG]

3. Thanks, Bob. Wonderful colors in your shots. Next time I'm at Lake Tahoe, I need to dedicate a couple sunrise/sunsets. Didn't have that chance this time, but we'll likely be back at some point (relatives live in the area).
    One more for the week, bumblebees feasting on the sedum plants in our back yard. Pentax K20D, Tamron 90mm macro.
    [​IMG]

4. I call this one 'Downhill!', it's a street shot with my K10D, Pentax Da 18-55/ My second shot to come when i have edited it....
    00UarS-175965584.jpg

5. Thought I might as well add another one fm this morning while I was here. Not an amazing shot, but I love the warm colours and the contrast of painting and photo:
    00UarU-175967584.jpg

6. Trying again

7. Third times a charm, I hope
    00UasG-175973684.jpg

8. and another handheld shot with the 50-135

9. One last try then I give up
    00UasN-175977584.jpg

10. A hot August day in Henderson, NV. A nice looking well cared for shopping plaza. They have hundreds of them that all look alike, by the way.
    K20D, F28, f1:2.8
    00UasW-175979684.jpg

11. A scene from behind the scenes!
    00Uasa-175979884.jpg

12. Take it away!
    00Uasb-175980084.jpg

13. [​IMG]
    This is from "Beypazari", a small town near Ankara, the Turkish Capital.
    This was shot using K20D and the FA 77mm (it does shoot non-portrait as well!).
    00Uaus-175997584.jpg

14. two from me this week
    00Uauu-175995584.jpg

15. My 2nd
    00Uauw-175995684.jpg

16. Yesterday (Saturday) I went on another photohike to Mt. Rainier National Park. This time a shooter friend and I hiked the Naches Peak loop which is just off Chinook Pass on the NE part of the park and about 5900 feet high. This is THE autumn color hike in the park. Since most of our trees are conifers, the really special autumn colors in the mountains come from the ground on up. Wild huckleberry and blueberry fields abound and turn incredible saturated reds, yellow, and purples. Throw in dried flower pods and bright sunlight and it's a visual feast. Just bring an ND filter and maybe a Polarizer too.
    Here are three quick ones--the sun was right overhead but there was enough there for our shooting pleasure. Plus it was 67 degrees. Yahoo!
    Colorful changes
    [​IMG]
    Pentax K20D, DA 70mm Ltd, f 9.5 @ 1/125 ISO 200
    Berry bushes
    [​IMG]
    Pentax K20D, DA 35mm macro Ltd, f 4.5 @ 1/60 ISO 800
    Mt. Rainier from NE
    [​IMG]
    Pentax K20D, DA 70mm Ltd, f 8 @ 1/180 ISO 200
    ME

17. Well last night, with a tear in my eye, I handed over my K10D to my sister. I hope I will still be welcomed here on the Pentax forum even though my only camera now is a Canon 50D. I DO plan to purchase another Pentax SOON so I am asking for leniency. My first shot was taken with the K10D last weekend in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum. The second, yesterday with the Canon.
    00UawL-176003584.jpg

18. The urban rower. This was shot in the early morning and I enhanced the grainyness in Ps.
    00UawN-176003684.jpg

19. Didn't do much this week, but since this guy woke me up, I decided to photograph "his" truck (probably stolen).
    00UazL-176031584.jpg

20. I think this was Maria's favorite...
    00UazO-176033584.jpg

21. Still working with the Tamron 90 Macro. Found Focus Adjustment at +10 to be a needed improvement. Here's two close-ups, K20D w Tamron 90mm, both f11, .7 sec and 1/30 sec respectively. The jpgs don't do justice to the quality.
    00Uazd-176035584.jpg

Moon shot

Pentax K20D, Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 and Pentax F-1.7x AFA TC
    [​IMG]
    Emerald Bay in South Lake Tahoe

Pentax K20D, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
    [​IMG]
    2008 New Year with Cosina 24mm f/2.8

Pentax K10D and Cosina 24mm f/2.8 in K-mount with 'A'
    [​IMG]

23. Testing 2 "new" lenses I got, with good results. First the SMC K 35/2:
    00Ub0l-176047584.jpg

24. And the M 35-70 f/2.8-3.5
    00Ub0m-176047684.jpg

25. It all looks good to me so far. A few thoughts:
    Bob M - lovely sunsets
    Steve T - great shot of the bees! Impressive DOF.
    Camus - that's quite a hill, or is the shot a bit tilted?
    Robert B the snake is great, something of a 3d effect
    Hin I really like the sun flare in your last shot.

26. My shot was taken last night with my recently purchased 12-24mm Pentax at Vista Bridge near downtown Portland
    00Ub28-176059584.jpg

27. Hey Hin,
    On Sept 14 I was at Emerald Bay taking the same shot from within just a couple feet from your location, but taking it all in with the fish eye. I loved the scenery at this tourist vantage point, but you'd think that for it being a highlighted tourist vantage point (parking lot, bathrooms, paved trail, guardrails, interpretive signs) they'd pluck the handful of standing dead storm damaged trees just beyond the guardrail that likely messed up more photographers' shots than just mine. Just enough of those damaged trees that good photo setup points are few and far between when there are dozens of other people milling about shooting family shots with their P&S's and camera phones. Your capture was much better than mine.
    Lots of great photos this week. Robert's rowing shot really caught my eye, and it works great in B&W.

28. We are so cute....
    00Ub45-176067584.jpg

29. I have a tiger in my tank
    00Ub4D-176067784.jpg

30. I stumbled upon some great mushrooms on Friday--"Chicken of the Woods" (Laetiporus cincinnatu), I think--in someone's yard. I shot some with the Voightlander 180mm on Friday and returned yesterday with the SMC-A 35-105mm for some additional shots. Light was pretty poor--especially yesterday--so I couldn't stop down as much as I would have preferred for dof purposes and also lost a bit of detail to NR. I found these colors difficult to work with in PP, btw--the light yellow areas kept blowing out on me.
    This is from Friday.
    00Ub4Z-176071584.jpg

31. The property owner couldn't have been nicer: asked me to email him some shots and was very pleased with what I sent him.
    00Ub4j-176073584.jpg

32. close up with 50mm 1.7 F5.6 1/1500 ISO 100
    00Ub79-176097784.jpg

33. From last Sunday. At f/11 in a dark room, it was guess distance for setting focus. Missed on this one.
    Pentax K200D, 645 55mm, 645 Adapter K, Vivitar 285 HV CTO, old strobe on an optical and lightstand with CTB.
    00Ub86-176101584.jpg

34. Hey all,
    Sorry it has been so long. Law School is a lot like my my past girlfriends. I love it to death but it's kickin my butt. At least the scenery is lovely. I finally managed to get out of the library and take a few shots. Unfortunately it was a bit hazy. Next time I will put on the polarizer. Great stuff everyone. Michael, that picture of Mt. Rainer is outstanding and Robert I love the image of the rower. It takes me back to days of rowing on the Charles and the Schuylkill. Here are a few pics I snapped off from school. Even when I don't post I still check out all your work. Happy shooting!
    00Ub9D-176105584.JPG

35. K20D w/18-55 WR
    00Ub9F-176105684.JPG

36. K20D w/18-55WR
    00Ub9J-176105784.JPG

37. here is one I took late this afternoon of my son Jordan. found this old barn that looked pretty cool so we grabbed a few shots with it.
    00UbHu-176169584.jpg

38. [​IMG]
    Oppede-le-Vieux
    Pentax Spotmatic / 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar

39. I took my son and his friend to the Canadian International Airshow in Toronto a few weeks ago. It was a good show but oriented so that the spectators look into the sun and hazy white sky. The airplane shots are not worth looking at, but I liked this one after my weird PP. K200D, Soligor 75-150mm, f/unknown, 1/350 sec, ISO 100.
    00UbJD-176181584.jpg

40. David Evans - I really like that bluebells shot. The colors are amazing.

41. I think My favorites this week are Sunset 1, the Tulip Artist, Robert Buck's snake, Beypazari, Mt. Rainier from NE, the urban athletes, "his" truck, Bluebells, Colors and Oppede-le-Vieux. Nice work!

42. Some fortuitous shots for me this week. I was out checking a site for a wedding. PEI on a beach with a cliff behind. I heard a strange rustling sound behind me and just glanced over my shoulder to see the critter below. Of course the camera had the 18-55mm on it. I slowly changed the lens to the FA*300mm and turned to get these shots.
    It turned out there were 6 of them and they didn't care about me one bit. I was able to get very close and took 31 keepers before the sunset made shooting too dark.
    00UbKy-176191684.jpg

43. Here are my two. Haven't picked up the camera in a while.
    [​IMG]
    CNH is back
    [​IMG]
    Sunset over the pacific ocean

44. Arrg uploading too large. Once more
    00UbL5-176193584.jpg

45. Peter- outstanding fox! I had one spend a year and a half coming and going from my back yard. I think he and his happy little band of offspring ate themselves out of my immediate area, but one or two are still in the greater neighborhood.

46. [​IMG]
    English Garden, Munich, Germany - February 1980. Pentax MX, M50 f/1.7, scanned from a print.

47. Nice one, Frank!

48. Loads of great ones this week:
    Steve-looks like it goes on forever
    Bob- love the colors of #1; someday I'll scan my photos of Cadillac Mtn sunset
    Steve-how did you get so close? Nicely caught colors and textures
    Camus- Downhill is a fun shot-angle accentuates kid's expression
    Robert-neat portrait of snake
    Bulent-very interesting perspective
    Michael- Good colors-hard to get with harsh sun; Rainier really shows scale
    Robert C - Perfect shots-great eye and reflexes
    David - Very painterly-nicely done
    Nick-great colors!
    Markus - So cute! - how did you get him/her to hold the pose for #2? LOL!
    Jordan - Good portrait of your son - nice use of shade. By the way, what happened to your night portrait of Christie? Good to have you back.
    Rafael-Interesting perspective - are we looking up or down?
    Jemal - Love your portraits
    Peter-looks like fox #2 heard a really good joke. Great shots
    Frank - Perfectly caught
    Amazing! It's only Monday!

49. My shots of Central Park from last week:
    00UbaM-176305584.jpg

50. My favs from this past weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

51. Nice work, Javier! The second is neat.
    I forgot ME's Mt Ranier - wow! Did you mess with the colors at all?

52. Thanks, Dave and Howard. The Oppede-le-Vieux shot is looking up from the bottom of a ruined tower.

53. Thank you Dave H, Trevor N., Howard, and Nick for your kind words.
    To answer Nick’s query, the original was in color but with the lighting so bright and overhead (as Howard picked up on) the most satisfying was to go with a duotone-like treatment in Lightroom. The clouds were better contrasted. And yep you’re seeing 14,400 ft of dormant volcano taken from 5900 ft.

Bob Marz, Nice feeling and colors to Acadian Sunset 2. Real sharp too. The Band’s Acadian Driftwood song immediately came to mind.

Camus, Tulip Artist is so colorful and a nice idea. I’d boost the brightness a bit and cut the contrast a wee bit.

Robert B, that snake picture has made me smile every time I see it. Great bokeh and colors.

Robert C, that second shot is outstanding. Great patterns and perspective, but my favorite part is the vertical shadow in front of the rower. Very cool. Probably my favorite. Even if it was taken with another brand :)

David E, Blue Bells is rendered very nicely. Great colors, especially of the flowers and the weathered green background. Lighting is intriguing too.

Dave H. That first ‘schroom shot is wonderful. On my faves list. The color, lighting, and overall texture are knockouts. Did you arrange the fungi that way? If you did, you did a great job, if not you knew where and how to shoot them. Kudos.

Peter Z, fox is cool. I’ve only encountered one in the wild and another running down shore birds on a Seattle beach at dawn. Watching Me is a textbook shot, you could make a postcard of it for sale. What an intense look!

Frank B., Beautiful, gallery-level photograph. The scan holds up well.

Javier, saw the second one on your site. It is an outstanding shot, you should get it published somewhere.

ME

54. Went to the coast this weekend, it was very nice had a great time, but very windy!
    These pictures were taken at Florence, Oregon - at the South Jetty.
    All pictures were done with a K110D and a Kalimar 80-210 MF push/pull lens.
    ~Jack
    00Uc4K-176593784.jpg

~Jack
    00Uc4S-176593884.jpg

~Jack
    00Uc4U-176593984.jpg

57. Jack: I take a curmudgeonly dim view of the activity in #2 but it's a very nice shot. Maybe crop out the darkness at the very bottom?
    Michael: Thanks for the comments on the mushrooms! I shot them as is. I very rarely arrange things (but I did brush off the one in the second shot.) These things are full of interesting views--here's a B&W which (to my twisted mind at any rate) borders on the obscene ;~)
    00UcLi-176707584.jpg

58. Dave,
    That's a fine shot too. You are delving in rich territory here.
    Obscene is not quite the right word; sensual is more apt. There is a fine tradition of photographing sensual vegetables.
    ME

59. Howard she backed out that day and haven't worked with her since, don't know why. Everything that afternoon was great we were laughing having a blast taking pics and then gone. Hate it but trying to move on and get other models.

60. Nice set you guys got going this week. I'm esp. liking:
    Steve; great framing with the tree branch on your first shot.
    Bob; how did the colors change so dramatically? Was the iso set on Auto? really neat...
    Camus; I like the expression on the child.
    Robert: great colors on both your shots!
    Bob: urban runner is neat, I like the shadows and lighting you captured.
    Peter: I like the 1st shot, that fox is looking right at you, very cool!
    Frank: Great shot of the 2 ladies!
    Javier: I like the spontaneity in your 3rd shot.
    Here are 2 new shots, taken over the labor day weekend:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

61. Some fantastic shots from everyone this week!
    I'd like to know if anyone can identify what this berry/fruit/seed pod is:
    [​IMG]

62. Jordan,
    Same thing happened to me this summer. I had two fun modeling sessions with a classmate from a workshop and then she suddenly says she's going to be "busy". No further contact. It's too bad because she was a natural. Oh well.
    Howard

63. Howard and Jordan,
    Maybe the models saw the photos being displayed in other places (like this forum) and they didn't know that and therefore now feel uncomfortable about it? Just wondering when people post pics of their shoots with models, whether they inform their models that they will present their pics in front of other people.
    Yes I know that sounds silly, since they are the models who should be getting used to having their photos all over the place, but still...

64. Somanna,
    I did ask my "model" whether I could post her picture here (a couple of months ago) and she agreed. We had gone over the shots together and picked out the ones we liked best. I showed her the one I would post. But you may be correct, seeing her picture on the internet may have been scary for her. I respect that. How many of us, truthfully, would feel comfortable with that? That's why I've only posted that one picture.
    Howard

65. Nice shots as always. @ Jeff Tsai - that is a Dogwood tree ( cornus).

66. @John

Of course; I've shot it flowering but never seen the late fall side of dogwood. Thanks!

67. Somanna; yes I asked her if it was ok to post here and she said yes use them where ever I could. She also posted on facebook for me. I think she had other things going on, shame she was terrific to work with.

68. From my Utah Photo Workshop - Rim Overlook at Capitol Reef National Park:
    [​IMG]
    Taken with the K10D + DA 12-24 and CPL. I needed an image for the NP digital library that clearly showed the Rim Overlook was accessible to anyone (from below anyway).
    Regards,
    Marc

69. Very nice Marc--it has an emphatic "3D" pop!

70. Dave, I love the sensual mushrooms. You did a good job getting light into the crevices.
    Trevor, hang in there. I got my law degree in '88 and what I discovered was this: First year they scare you to death, second year they work you to death, and third year they will bore you to death. But the faculty wants you to succeed. And I learned that being the only person in the law library studying on a weekend is good for your law school career.
    Don't let that camera collect too much dust. You need to get away from law school and relax and recharge your mind sometimes, even if they are kicking your butt. Good luck!