POW 24/5/2009

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by jptreen, May 23, 2009.

1. Not started one of these before, I've always been too late - and I've been out of the loop for a bit recently.

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going away for about six months to Italy for walking. Well, our planning could have been better so we're back in the UK after a short while sorting our lives out before heading out again. Here's a couple of shots from the first, abortive leg!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...and then the standard 'annoyingly tilty' shot :)
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy!

2. My newest lens, a used Pentax Da16-45mm has earned its place in my photobag this week with some incredible colourful, strange and kitschy images from Zurich and some wide shots inside St. Peter church. Exactly what I needed after all the cute animal portraits I did this week .
    00TRq5-137277584.jpg

3. Kitsch as kitsch can
    00TRq7-137277684.jpg

4. not bad for the Pentax 16-45mm zoom (without polfilter)
    00TRqC-137277984.jpg

5. Red is not really a background colour :)
    00TRqE-137279584.jpg

6. I've been out of the loop as well. Lots of work, and some stuff to do around the house has kept me sort of in this weekend, although I went to the dog agility trials today. Gotta finish building my boat rack, have some stuff to do with the cars tomorrow, but am hoping to get a paddle in tomorrow and hopefully will get a hike in Monday.
    Here is some stuff from several days, several weeks, and several months ago.
    [​IMG]
    K20D, DA 21mm, 5 shot HDR bracketed at 2 stops, tone mapped in Photomatix. I don't usually do HDR for landscape type shots but if you click back to the photo it explains the change of heart for this shot.
    [​IMG]
    K20D, Sigma 10-20mm at ~10mm, ISO 400.
    Lets title this one "Fierce: The Bagel Boss" since when I sent my wife the cell shots she said, "wow, he looks fierce." He loves Bagels, and despite being a dog, and eating just about anything on the ground, he does prefer better bagels. Don't even think of giving him those stale bagel dog treats!
    [​IMG]
    LG Voyageur (VX10000)...(camera phones occasionally have a use...but I did fire off some shots with the K10D and the 645N on Delta 3200)!

7. Caney, Caney, Caney, Caney!!!!
    C'mon Justin, give a brother a bagel, man.
    On a different note: Did I completely sleep through Saturday...?

8. BTW, I am going to comment now since my Wednesday plan to comment has blown up the last 2 weeks.
    John, I like shot 1 and 2. 1 is funny, 2 is interesting and well done. Not a fan of the artsy tilty stuff, but someone will be! Hope your trip gets back on track!
    Markus, #1 is killer!

9. Back from work, and back to wildflowers.
    00TRs3-137289584.jpg

10. K10d 50-135 with nikon 3T diopter
    00TRs8-137289684.jpg

11. same setup as the others
    00TRsD-137291584.jpg

12. A beaver that swam by while I was taking pictures of wildflowers. DA 50-135mm; crop.
    [​IMG]
    Wintercress. Tamron Adaptall 90mm. I'll be posting botanical subjects on my flickr account this spring and summer, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, some white unbalance. DA 16-45mm; long night exposure.
    [​IMG]

13. Revisited the fountain again tonight and came away with some better shots, at least in my mind, I don't know about others;)
    00TRt0-137303684.jpg

14. Other viewpoint
    00TRt1-137303784.jpg

15. I has been a good week for me for photos. The first is a young moose in a local pond
    00TRtQ-137309684.jpg

16. Second a Sandpiper on the river
    00TRtT-137309784.jpg

17. I stopped on the way home from work this morning to try out my new Tamron SP 70-210 f1:3.5 CF Macro with my K10D. This is the 52A model Adaptall 2. I think this is a very fine lens, it just takes a lot of effort for really good focus.
    Location is north central Oregon near the Columbia River.

18. Hope the trip gets underway again soon John-Paul. What did you decide about taking a tripod?

19. Took a hike/trout/black fly trip this Friday with my brother. Black flies were not part of the objective.They are just part of fun the this time of year, crawling in your ears,eyes, nose, and mouth. Oh, yeah, biting some of the time as well. Nice sunrise along the stream. [​IMG] This is the "Jewel of the Adirondacks". Salvelineus Fontinalis or Eastern Brook Trout which is actually a char, but never the less it is 'Wild', not planted. Although most are small, they are beautiful. [​IMG] 'Two Brothers, Fishing' [​IMG]

20. I'll comment later but really like a lot of what's been posted. "Buy Pen" was a great way to start things off on a Sunday morning, JP.
    In addition to bad birds, I've been shooting more flowers--peonies mostly. I went a bit bombastic processing this one.
    00TRyD-137359584.jpg

21. Here's the second floor tenant working her flower patch.
    00TRyJ-137359684.jpg

22. I came across this freshly emerged moth yesterday. It was really huge--the body was the size of my thumb.
    00TRyL-137361584.jpg

23. Architecture for the dogs "Barkitecture", at Stan Hywet Hall in Akron OH.
    00TRz6-137365684.jpg

24. Glassy for Lassie
    00TRzI-137367684.jpg

25. All three of my photos this week are using wireless off camera flash. It is fun to play with but I wish it was more reliable. Seems like it works about 80-90% of the time.
    First one came about during a rest period from bed jumping.
    00TS1F-137383784.jpg

26. The next two are attempts to "stop" water.
    00TS1K-137383884.jpg

27. Tyce the hand model.
    00TS1N-137383984.jpg

28. Justin, your HDR shot is awesome. I saw a demonstration of that software recently and it really looks useful.
    Robert B., your second and third flower shots are very nicely done.
    Bob, I really like the sepia shot. In the right place I think sepia is a great effect and that really works.
    Dave, all three are really nice. I especially like the one of your tenant, well framed.
    Well, ho hum, more landscapes for me this week. What can I say, I like to shoot early in the morning, although the first on is from late last night.
    00TS3C-137401784.jpg

29. secondly..
    00TS3F-137401884.jpg

30. and lastly
    00TS3H-137403584.jpg

31. Just a quick photo run through our garden this morning. I'm on the hook to build a garden gate today and have to sink a couple of cedar 4x4 posts. I took advantage of the diffused light of dense high clouds that will burn off shortly. A little strobe assist here and there.
    I just love it when those "geeky" test sites claim the DA Ltd. 35mm Macro has lousy bokeh.
    Red Dogwood
    [​IMG]
    K20D, DA 35mm Ltd. Macro, f 4 @ 1/1000, ISO 400--Uncropped
    Day Lilly
    [​IMG]
    K20D, Mamiya/Sekor 65mm Macro M42, f 5.6 @ 1/45, ISO 400
    Poppy Pod
    [​IMG]
    K20D, Mamiya/Sekor 65mm Macro M42, f 5.6 @ 1/180, ISO 400, Metz 58AF, Joe Demb Diffuser/Reflector
    ME

32. Those are really nice, Michael! What interest me is that they were shot at iso 400. I really need to get over my fear of shooting above iso 200. Is that a difference between the K10D and the K20D? It just seems everything I do above 200, and certainly 400, is quite grainy. Of course I suppose it's possible the problem is the photographer and not the camera.

33. Robert,
    Thank you, and I like your foggy shot as well.
    Re: ISO, the K10D and the K20D have different processors and firmware and I believe they manage ISO a bit differently. I remember reading somewhere that ISO 400 is actually the sweet spot for the K20D. Even though I've had the K20D for 8 months and 10,000 shots, I'm still learning about its capabilities. I'm very comfy shooting up to 800 and even 1600 with some software tweaking.
    When I owned the K10D I was quite OK with ISO 400. A little reduction in Lightroom or if needed noiseware in CS3 and things were right for printing. With tweaks, ISO 800 was pretty good even. Perceived grain may not be shared by other viewers :)
    ME

34. Nice pix guys; as always. Some of you definitely took the photo pill this week!!!
    I did some studio work for a friend this past Tuesday. Attaching 3 samples just to show u =)
    00TS7R-137429584.jpg

35. Last one...
    All pics taken with my DL! =)

36. Grr...why my last shot came undisplayble??? grrrr...
    For M.Elenko:
    Hey, for ur macro shots, why dont you stick to ur VL 125??? Any second thoughts to it? =)
    THose mamiya shots look good though...

37. Arkadly,
    Thank you.
    Each of the macro lenses has such unique characteristics that I give a little too much thought into which tool to use. A lot of my choices depend on simple logistics: I'll use the longer focal length lenses when my home supervisor says it is forbidden for me to trample the garden. The Voigtlander is also quite heavy and I use it best with a bigger tripod setup, especially after morning coffee (we can't help ourselves in Seattle). For these shots I was able to use a light Ultrapod 2. The VL is also a knockout telephoto/landscape lens.
    The Mamiya/Sekor 60mm is a truly unique lens and works best in true closeups. I am forever indebted to the curmudgeon at the repair shop who talked me into purchasing it 6 years ago when I wanted to get into macro cheap. Like many older macros it's not very sharp for regular landscape use.
    And the DA Ltd. 35mm I'm just starting to appreciate as a closeup lens. This lens is usually on my camera as my standard. But I like its ability to capture the broader backgrounds with the subject in the foreground with so much depth in the rendering. Quite amazing, really.
    BTW, I like Smokin' a lot, it could be used as a character study for drama productions. The third image I cannot see.
    ME

38. Örnsköldsvik, Sweden.....today May 24th 2009
    00TS8c-137439584.jpg

39. I'll try again to get my photos into the post.
    00TSAN-137453584.jpg

40. Really nothing super-interesting this week from me. Made some digitals; nice photos above. I particularly liked that one of the caught fish. J.
    00TSAO-137453784.jpg

41. Another!
    00TSAQ-137453684.jpg

42. One more!
    00TSAS-137453884.jpg

43. One more from Boardtree, with some off cam lighting.
    00TSAV-137453984.jpg

44. Sorry for interlacing with yours, Dawson.
    Last one taken with the "Plastic Fantastic" auto-everything $17 lens. Yes, I used an automatic, but it was for a purpose, so don't get excited if I look like a film heretic or something! You know I'm a manual-film kind of guy!
    00TSAZ-137455684.jpg

45. Since we seem to be on a plant theme, I'll post a few flowers I found in Riverside Park in NYC and a surprise.
    Howard
    00TSE0-137473684.jpg

46. Another
    00TSE8-137473784.jpg

47. Last flower
    00TSEE-137475584.jpg

48. And the surprise
    This guy is not lost. Owner sitting on bench a few feet away.
    00TSEM-137477684.jpg

49. ME:
    Thanks for the explanation. You definitely give a lot of thought for your lens use. I wish I had that experience to evaluate which lens to use. I stick to my VL 90mm, my Pentax 50, and some times the 18-55.
    I'll try to upload the third image. It's weird that it cannot be displayed... grr

50. and again...
    00TSEs-137483884.jpg

51. Some cutsie suburban wildlife. Walking the kids to the library this week, I had the feeling that I was being watched.
    00TSIr-137509784.JPG

52. This one was in my backyard an hour ago. Both shots are with a K200D. The raccoon with the 18-55 II kit lens and the rabbit with a Soligor 70-150 manual zoom.
    00TSIu-137511584.jpg

53. Nice work again, folks !
    I've been very busy organising a members' day for a web-photoclub I'm with. Here's one of the posters I made for it (the major theme was modern architecture)
    [​IMG]
    Myself I was just fooling around, that saturday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (this last one being heavily altered, ofcourse)

54. Lots of great shots, as usual. I really like the critter shots, Sigmar's racoon and rabbit sure caught my eye.
    Spent 9 hours motorcycling the back roads of western Wisconsin today. Found an old, abandoned farm house. Not an unusual sight. K20D, Sigma 10-20mm at 20mm, polarizing filter. Light editing.
    [​IMG]
    From my backyard, a flowering shrub. K20D, Tamron 90mm macro lens, no editing.
    [​IMG]

55. Excellent start John-Paul.. Love the first, and I can see you will make good use of the level function in the new k7.. lol. I must admit I like that shot :)
    Justin your HDR is pretty impressive.. and what's the matter with Caney?
    I'll try and come back for some comments later.. but the photos so far are all quite impressive, some really nice work by everyone!
    I got a chance to go up to lake Pleasant on Saturday..
    00TSVS-137611584.jpg

56. My favorites this week is Moose from Ian Forsyth, and Justin's HDR. Haig, Piece de resistance is a nice picture except I can't see the pupil of her eye for all the reflected light around it. Great Picture though.
    Well, I tried another HDR without really knowing what I was doing. I read up on it before I processed this picture, so this is really new for me.
    Pentax K10d, pentax 18-55mm @ F/11, used auto bracket w/ 5 exposures, +/- 0.7. tripod.
    00TSar-137655584.jpg

57. This next one, I used the Tamron 75-300mm. In my viewing, that lens is almost as sharp as my 50mm f/1.7, and on the k10d, the focus is just a hair slower than the kit lens. I tried a Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 and the focus was so slow and inaccurate that I went back to my 'cheap' lens.
    00TSbC-137657584.jpg

58. Comments for this POW:
    Justin, the HDR is nice. I've never made it to Taughannock, but I've burned many a brain cell out at Letchworth north of there.
    Leo P, Wintercress has great color and form. The PP was a little overbaked and the noise if visible, but I like the shot.
    J. Behrends, you have the frames down for that fountain and the textures are wonderful. I'd use that baseline for some fun Photoshop experimenting.
    Andrew H, The "frozen" water on Thattaway looks very jelly-like.
    Robert C. The fog shot has an excellent tone.
    Arkadly, your third shot is my favorite of the week. Very sensuous.
    ME

59. Another fun bunch of photograph this week! Favorites:
    Markus' Strange and whatever that flower is.
    Justin's falls--immaculate!
    Robert Buck's flowers: maybe a but murky but inspired (foam flower, especially!)
    Interesting stuff, Leo: the night shot works
    I like that first shot of the fountain John-the tree helps.
    Nice sandpiper Ian, maybe a bit dark?
    Pretty brookie Bob!
    Wonderful water shots, Andrew!
    Interesting night shot Robert. "Foggy lately" is really nice!
    I haven't fiogured out that dogwood, ME, but I lioke it a lot.
    Nice, Arkadiy--Bogart works for me.
    I like that tattered iris and the columbine maybe needs a bit of brightening?
    Heavily altered is my favorite of the three oshiva--nice!
    Interesting perspective on the old farm house, the weigelia is well done, too.
    Man, that portrait is nice, Haig!
    The sunset us really nicely, done, Jon, The duck, too, but it looks a little cramped in the frame.
    As a general comment, it seemed to me--as I occasionally noted--that a number of submissions this week were a bit dark and lacking contrast. I'm wondering whether that was intentional (breaking away from the "Disney" aesthetic) or whether--as I sometimes experience--some brightness and contrast is lost in the re-sizing and posting.

60. Jon, good job with the HDR, you haven't over done it, but without it I imagine the foreground would be almost all silhouette, instead of the fine detail you have captured.

61. Dave, the reason it looks cramped is, I had to crop about an inch from the left of the picture because part of another duck got in the frame. I thought about cloneing it out, but I haven't taken the time yet.
    I also noticed the lack of contrast this time around. Sometimes when I post, the pictures look a little darker, but lately they basically stay the same. I think the reason they stay the same now is because I change the color space to sRGB, add some contrast, and then save.
    Yes Peter the foreground was all black. Actually, I wouldn't be doing any sunsets except that doing an HDR was the last resort. I have tried many times to get a decent sunset without success until just recently with the HDR's. I figured if the HDR didn't work, I would be off to the camera store to find one of those GND filters and buy one of each kind. Then try different combinations on a sunset until I found what I was looking for.
    Seeing that I only posted two images, here is another HDR that I was only using for a test to see how good it actually works.
    Pentax K10d, pentax 18-55mm, this time auto bracket using +/-2.0, tripod.
    00TSzz-137843984.jpg

62. As a general comment, it seemed to me--as I occasionally noted--that a number of submissions this week were a bit dark and lacking contrast. I'm wondering whether that was intentional (breaking away from the "Disney" aesthetic) or whether--as I sometimes experience--some brightness and contrast is lost in the re-sizing and posting.​
    Dave,
    I think a lot is lost at 500-700 pixels. Sure small images usually appear sharper, but the tones are lost. For instance my bridge shot is a bit dark on top on the full size shot, but I didn't even think to dodge the rafters till I was looking at it at only 500px on this site, now I'm going back to open up the foreground shadows a bit. That said, the full size image shows decent tone (that is it's not 100% blocked out) in the shadows.
    Jon: The HDRs look good although they look more like averaged exposures than tone mapped HDR. That isn't a bad thing, it's more natural. But if you were going for an HDR painted effect (and you might not have been as I sort of don't care for it myself), you need to bracket a bigger intervals. You noted .7...You need at least 1 stop intervals at 5 images, or better 1.5 to 2.0 stops.
    Haig: I love the sunset and the model!
    Steve: Like the ground level perspective of the abandoned farm shot, I always like getting low for a different perspective.
    Dorus: As usual a nice crop of images. The last one is my favorite.
    Howard: I'm not much for flower shots (I take em to, and have gigs worth on my hard drive, I just can't get into them!), but I love the bird!
    John Dawson: The dragon fly is pretty cool but I think the first one is my fav!
    Sigmar: Nice collection of urban wildlife!
    Ark: Like the stuff you've put up the last few weeks. Not sure if I commented but I really liked your iguana (???) from a few weeks ago. Think I missed out on commenting that week.
    Robert C: The second one is great. I hate to ask, but is the fog in these shots always real, or do you add it? I love foggy atmospheric shots so of course I had to ask!
    John OO: I love that cascade but I'd have cropped out that little sliver of sky, and or cropped in tigher on the cascade in the first place. Beautiful cascade!
    Andrew: Love both the water shots!

63. Very interesting images this week. I went in for colonoscopies last week and this week so these are from my 5th trip to Yellowstone this year 3 weeks ago. I'm headed back in 2 weeks for a Yellowstone Association digital nature photography workshop hoping to bump my skills up to the next level.
    Barrow's Goldeneye
    [​IMG]
    White Pelicans
    [​IMG]
    Great Blue Heron
    [​IMG]
    Osprey returning to the nest
    [​IMG]

64. Justin, glad you asked. I can assure you the fog is real. I am not sure how to add it if I wanted to. We have had a lot of rain this spring and thus a lot of foggy days. I almost always go out pre-dawn to shoot so I often catch the fog. I play around with the white balance a little, but the fog is quite real.
    Bob

65. Justin,
    I know what you mean about flowers. I have lots of them because of the colors and the light. I decided about a year ago that I was taking "portraits" of flowers and decided to take portraits of people in the wild i.e. streets, parks, etc. Not the same esthetic but more interesting to shoot.
    The parrot was amazing - whistling, talking and gathering a crowd.
    Howard