POTW. where is it ?

Saadsalem

Go up to the top of this page. Hover your cursor over the blue EXPLORE tab. A drop down menu will appear. Click on Photo of the Week.

Here's a link:

Photos of the Week @ Photo.net - Where Photographers Inspire Each Other

When you hover over the thumbnail, you will see a very small link called VIEW in white type. Click on that and you'll see the photo and the discussion.

This is a very cumbersome way to access a feature of PN, but it's the best they've been able to do so far. Quite a hassle and not very intuitive, but it is what it is.

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Bookmarking the page will still only get you to the thumbnails, where you will then still have to know to hover over thumbnail, find the tiny VIEW link, and click that, because if you just click on the thumbnail itself, which would be the logical thing to do, you'll be taken just to a large version of the picture and not the Photo of the Week discussion.
  • Like 1

Thank you so much Fred G for the ( instruction manual ). Appreciated.

It was the view button that I 'vent noticed, one feature that made me stuck with this rather lagging site is the discussion over the POTW . And even this have started to die, astonishingly there some photos with zero comment (e.g War ) ,something I have not imagined even in my dreams ,I am afraid of the worst.

Thank you Sanford.

My best .

Edited by Saadsalem

It's not just POTW that's over due to be updated, has all interest and support from PN admin now stopped ? We now have "Editors Pick" last updated 20th May, "POTD" 18th May and "POTW" 16th May, if this continues members interest in the site will also disappear very quickly.
  • Like 3

In great part, it already has.

Fred, I’m sorry, but that sounds so weak. This place had collapsed before you joined, and participation has been falling ever since. I could find posts from 2006, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, etc that also claim interest has dwindled.

People stop participating for all sorts of reasons and but I think it is mainly because it is so repetitive.

Edited by Norman 202

Fred, I’m sorry, but that sounds so weak. . . .

People stop participating for all sorts of reasons . . .

Strange response, Norman, since we agree. Read carefully. I responded to the claim that member interest is failing because of a lack of updating of certain features by simply saying it already has failed. You say in your post that this place collapsed long ago and give a different reason. All I said was that the place has already failed. I didn’t give a reason, as if there’s one main reason. You did, repetitiveness. But, as you said before you contradicted yourself by giving the reason of repetitiveness, there are many reasons. Among them, I suspect, is poor maintenance of regular site features.

Anyway, no apology necessary.

Ken, I get the feeling that members already are leaving in droves.

Michael, the clock is still ticking since my first post and still no interest or support from admin. Have all resources been removed ? also "Photo contests" seem to have finished with only previous contests displayed. If there is anyone still working in admin please give the members a wave or a short reply.

If there is anyone still working in admin please give the members a wave or a short reply.

Ken, to quote one of my favorite movie lines (from Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" - his character talking to a friend about his relationship with Annie: "Sharks need to keep moving through the water, or they die. What we have here is a dead shark." I certainly hope not, in PN's case. Lots of us have invested significant amounts of time in this site.

• Like 2

Ken, I get the feeling that members already are leaving in droves.

And yet the traffic in forums has increased from an average of 50 to 61 from last count in Members Online box as I write this comment.

I go by facts when it comes to determining why PN membership dwindles. So far I have none to prove what maintains a consistency of 50 or so ever since the start of PN 2.0.

Statistically, I'm sure you're correct, Tim. The basis for my statement was limited to my own experience, i.e., that quite a few photographers I followed before the rollout of PN(2) are no longer active.

But you don't know why they're no longer active, right?

Just as I don't know why currently PN consistently remains at 50 or so logged in members. There's nothing to indicate what keeps them here. Norman stated previously some time back around 2006 this site lost its "edgy" vibe. I'ld like to know what that means and looks like. Was it the quality of photos? Or the quality of discussions? Or both.

Did Norman know the exact number of members were logged into PN back then or was he referring to a small group of like minded hipster photographers he found interesting and assumed made up the entire site of participants?

I still like PN. It is the only photography-minded community site I have found worth visiting. I am a low-volume contributor to say the least, but that has more to do with two little creatures that call me daddy than any shortcomings on PN's part. I joined somewhere around 2010 and am sad to see the sharp decline in activity since then. Given recent reports that the US has hit a record low birthrate, I suppose my own reason for diminished activity is not so for most others. For what it's worth, I'm on a handful of photo-minded Facebook groups, and while they have plenty of photo sharing activity, PN still has more discussion even in its ghost-town-esque state.
  • Like 1