POTW 4 - Abstract nature

AJHingel

<p>Personally I would see all these images as abstract, although to various degrees, because you see forms, textures, lines, light and shadows before you, in some cases recognise known features and objects of nature.<br>

The last one of Michael, is maybe the closest to be just a nature shot but the color sparks in the tree to the left of the frame and the strong presence of the branches on the right have, as I see it abstract features to it.</p>

<p>Michael, yes, I believe, that was the case. I never manage to get something satisfactory in abstract terms by brushstroke filters and prefer working in-camera and blur and eventually grain filters. For me 90% of an abstract image based on nature views are done in framing (sometimes cropping) and camera settings like Bill's above - if I'm not mistaken.</p>

<p>Then, please, Arthur explain the relation between intimations and abstraction as you see it. It would help us to understand. <br>

As I would understand it there are surely a role for intimations in images which at first view are abstract without immediate and direct link to known forms or subjects. The intimation would be the vehicle towards the known. Your image of violins would however more be symbolism or surreal than abstract, I would think.</p>

<p>Laura, the word was intimation and not imitation, two quite different things.</p>

<p>Anders, thanks for your comment and question. You may well be right to classify my image as surreal (which can also be abstract of course), but I think also that we often evoke the term surrealism for subjects that are not principally in that category and also we apply other categories to images that are clearly abstract (or an abstraction of nature or whatever, if you will).</p>

<p>To me, my listening to "The lark ascending" on violin by Vaughan-Williams triggered my creativity and simultaneously (within a few days of the former) seeing the yearly migrations of more than a million snow geese that stop over "chez nous" (yes we are lucky).</p>

<p>So I went into the darkroom for a few evenings to produce (arduously, as a multiple enlarger projected impressions on the same paper) this "photographic collage" to make this abstraction of nature. I love this kind of process that is less accidental than stumbling upon something in nature that appears to us as abstract or an abstraction. I think it embodies art in the (or as the) photographic approach.</p>

<p>Did I address your question? I admit to often going off in other directions of interest when stimulated by one.</p>

<p>Arthur, thanks, I like your account on the process you have been through when creating the violin image, but , no! , you did not really answer my question above. I repeat it hoping that it is meaningful:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As I would understand it, there are surely a role for intimations in images which at first view are abstract without immediate and direct link to known forms or subjects. The intimation would be the vehicle towards the known. </p>

</blockquote>