Postprocessing Challenge 6 July 2018

WK_Edit07062018.thumb.jpg.65de40a62de99dee82bd272569d97c03.jpg

This is a nice image to work with and I got some good practice. First I copied the image and pasted it into GIMP. Then I used a curves layer to increase the contrast. Then I used the clone tool to cloned out some of the frigidity. I then made a new layer and used the Unsharp Mask filter at .65 value. I then lowered the opacity to 50% and made a new layer from visible layers. Then I applied a luminosity mask so I could use Levels to capture some detail in the sky.

• Like 2

1517355_f3013472368ea40e5f78485cfc49d833-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg.3c807f62c8faa5271ca965ab0ad4ac89.jpg

I liked the almost symmetry, so I decided to play with that. I wanted to increase the symmetry without leaving a whole lot of tracks, which basically translates to “no backwards writing.”

Lightroom: I did the usual basic adjustments to whites, highlights, shadows, clarity, and vibrance, then I leveled the image on the roof-top, duplicated the image, and flipped it horizontally. I exported both versions to Photoshop as layers.

Photoshop: I changed the blend mode to “difference” so I could align the layers over the center pillar, then changed blend mode back to normal once they were aligned. Then,

1. I created a transparent layer mask, and used an opaque brush to block out anything I didn’t want on the right side of the frame; that left the right side as an almost mirror image of the left
  2. I created a new layer, and cloned in things like the clock face and some of the graffiti (after doing a bit of editing)
  3. I then spent an inordinate amount of time with the clone tool, trying to get the iron fencing to look right (not entirely successfully, but I got hungry), and persuading the shadows to go more-or-less the right direction
  4. I’d left the “…Admission…Right Field…” lettering where it was, but the tops of the fence posts now no longer lined up with the bottoms, so I used the content-aware move tool to shift the writing to the left, then stretched it slightly to make things more-or-less line up. The stretching slightly warped the lettering, which I should have cleaned up but didn’t.
  5. I also used the content-aware move tool to center the blue baseball at the top. I then shipped it back to Lightroom.

Lightroom: At that point I thought I was finished, but when I stood back and looked at it I could tell there was something wrong, but it took me a while to figure out what. I hadn’t shaded the left side of the passageway and right-most stone pillar. So I used an adjustment brush to reduce highlights, reduce contrast, slightly reduce temperature, and reduce exposure in the places that needed to be in shadow.

• Like 3

Hey, everyone! I finally got around to creating my version. Initial steps in Photoshop Elements 15: cropped from right side and top, leveled from bottom, adjusted tonality using levels. The rest in Silver Efex: converted to b&w, more tonal adjustments and added "structure".1517355_f3013472368ea40e5f78485cfc49d833.thumb.jpg.1b449662226b746ced724e4abb8b28f5.jpg
  • Like 1