Postprocessing Challenge 15 September 2017

Michael, thanks for starting this threa. I think we missed last week. This appears to be a hotel with a full parking lot. Perhaps where you were in Florida when the hurricane caused so much damage. I didn't do much post-processing. Just shadows & highlights in LR then some tonal contrast in Color Efex 41474034_fa26d1f97f66677bfd8a2458e1fe289f.thumb.jpg.d7b0b297cff645a21abefd5fafc9a66a.jpg
  • Like 2

So glad you came through the storm OK, Michael!

Under the circumstances, I took the photo the opposite direction that Bill did. I added a flood flow from January in my local river, giving it 50% opacity so that the reflections would still be visible. Then I took a spring rainstorm from the local sand dunes, did a threshold adjustment to try to isolate the rain (not entirely successfully, but the sandy grunge in the background kind of added to the storminess, so I let it be), copied it a few times to rain all over the frame, and went back to Lightroom to darken, declarify, and desaturate.

1474034_fa26d1f97f66677bfd8a2458e1fe289f-Edit-Edit.jpg.638fd56c2ec40d41bfa2b843ab1e06ac.jpg

• Like 2

My first version started with PSE15, in which I cropped rather drastically and corrected the slight tilt to the left. After applying a preset in HDR Efex, I went to Color Efex for tonal and color adjustments. Finally, I sharpened using NIK's sharpening tool. The second version involved Silver Efex only, for the conversion to b&w and finishing touches.

I'll try posting the b&w version a bit later. PN's server is acting up (surprise, surprise).

Edited by michaellinder
  • Like 1

Hi Michael, pleased to see you survived Irma, I'm Back home now and would be happy to post for next weekend.

Here is my go at your pic. Crop and basic adjustments in LR, opened in Color Efex and tried a few presets and ended up with this. To be honest I can't remember all the steps.

[ATTACH=full]1209759[/ATTACH]

Looks you added some green to the reflections on the pavement. This works well, in my opinion.