Posting an image inline

peter nelson

I've noticed that when I post an image in a question it always

appears as a link, but in other people's postings the images appear

inline with the text.<P>

I'm posting the images by using the "You may upload an image with

this posting" feature at the the time of posting, and using the

Browse button. How do other people do it?

<I>It is in the FAQ somewhere, had a talk with Brian M. about it, but the basics are:<BR>

1) Must be JPG or GIF format <BR>

2) 511 pixels or less width <BR>

3) fill in the caption</I><P>

No, that can't be it, because in the current People Photography forum, in the "no words" thread, there's an inline photo with no caption.<P>

Anyway I went to the FAQ and there is nothing there about this. The only question that even comes close is "How do I upload a photo?' which doesn't address any of the questions I've raised here. (It's mainly about uploading photos to your gallery, not about embedding them in questions.) So since 2 of the 3 responses here said to look in the FAQ, perhaps they should have looked in the FAQ first! Does P.N. have more than one FAQ?<P>

So does anyone actually know the answer to this question?

<I>You write the html to put an image inline using the img tag.</I><P>

That would only work if the image is being served from a web server so you can give it a URL, or if it's in a local file system that can be accessed by the photo.net server. But it would not apply to an uploaded image because the uploading is done at the time the question is posted so it's not local to the photo.net server and has no image id at the time the question (and its HTML) is being composed.<P>

As I said in my original question: "<U>I'm posting the images by using the 'You may upload an image with this posting' feature at the the time of posting, and using the Browse button.</U>" Everyone here has seen this page everytime they've posted a question and there's nothing there that says this only creates links. And not to put too fine a point on it, but it clearly says "<B>(on your local hard drive)</B>" next to that button. That rules out the img tag.<P>

Anyone here who listens to NPR's "Cartalk" knows what "Male Answer Syndrome" is, but let's see if we can avoid that and exit the realm of speculation. Surely someone knows the answer to this question.

Paul had it right. You do need to fill in the caption. I've seen that said by moderators here before and the page specifically says, "(leave blank if this isn't a photo)". That is, by _not_ leaving it blank, you tell the system this is a photo. Also, if it's too big, it will show up as a link rather than inline.

<I>If you want it to work every time, do it the way I said. You can upload to photo.net folders and leave it there. </I><P>

I don't upload ANYTHING to photo.net folders. Ever.<P>

<I>Otherwise, you're not going to get what you want every time, as far as I can tell. </I><P>

. . . "as far as I can tell" Isn't there anyone from Photo.net here who actually <B>knows</B> the answer to this? It's not like Photo.net is some piece of alien technology left on our planet by some ancient civilization from another star which has long ago vanished. And now we poor earthlings are trying to figure out how it works. Why is this such a hard question?

<I>Paul had it right. You do need to fill in the caption. </I><P>

As I said, there are captionless, inline photos there. Go see for yourself!<P>

<I>I've seen that said by moderators here before and the page specifically says, "(leave blank if this isn't a photo)". </I><P>

What page says that? Not the Confirm page. <P>

Would people answering this question PLEASE verify your answers before posting?? We've had two people say it's in the FAQ, which it isn't, and we've had two people insist that you need to fill in the caption, even though there are captionless inline photos visible even as we speak.

<I>Peter, consider listening (to Jeff for example), rather than assuming no one here knows what they're talking about. Here's an inline pic:<BR>

. . . <BR>

See, it really does work.</I><P>

So what? I didn't say his idea doesn't work! He said I had to "upload to photo.net folders and leave it there. " and I said I didn't want to upload anything to a photo.net public folder. I don't want any of my images in photo.net public folders.<P>

I want to use the method that Photo.net provides for uploading an image with a posting. I'm not trying to sneak around their method or find an alternative unless it is established that their method is simply broken. We haven't established that.<P>

If was going to use an img tag and write my own HTML, as Jeff suggests, I would put the image on my website and reference it to there rather than to anything on Photo.net because then I can maintain better control of it. But before we start finding workarounds, we need to establish that the behavior I'm seeing from uploading the image from the Confirm page is as good as it gets.

MC:I've seen that said by moderators here before and the page specifically says, "(leave blank if this isn't a photo)".

PN:What page says that? Not the Confirm page.

Well, the confirm page said it this morning. I cut and pasted everything between the quotes directly from that page. Not sure why it changed, but it was there. I do happen to double check before posting.

Not that it matters, since you're the only one that knows anything.