Post your Velvia Shot Here

<p>I was intrigued when reading the forum on Good Old Faithful Velvia when a forum post mentioned that a discussion with just Velvia shots would be nice, I agree. I am creating this post in hopes to provide others with examples of how brilliant Velvia is. Feel free to post any Velvia photos and please refrain from debating the difference between Velvia and Digital shots, both are fantastic. </p>

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thank Paul! Great Idea.</p>

<p>I normally shoot Provia, but, have tried Velvia 100 recently.</p>

<p>I am scanning with a Nikon V into VueScan (3 passes). I haven't tried enough film to be sure, but, it seems like I get a lot of grain for a 100 speed film.</p>

<p>Here is an example</p>

<p>Is it the film, the scanner or (likely) my techniqe?</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p><div>00U29R-157989784.jpg.3ad3519e17ca95c6a28b4035b3192765.jpg</div>

<p>All the Velvia shots are great, I love the look of film, especially velvia. Hey Jay, to give some insight to the first picture you posted where you mentioned it was a bit grainy, I doubt it is the film. It could definetly be the scanner or technique, it is very hard to tell, anyone else have any input? I myself have given up scanning (Thankfully I have NCPS that scans my film being that I am in San Diego often). The second photo you posted looks good. Did you scan that one as well? Did you scan it before or after the other photo? Anyways, great images. :)</p>

<p>Hello Paul:</p>

<p>Yes I scanned the flower after I scanned the sky photo. The scanner was switched-on almost 90 minutes before I scanned these images (if that's what you were thinking ;~))</p>

<p>I had another look at the film with my "loop" (a Canon FD 50/1.8) and compared the velvia to similar shots on RDP and RHP.</p>

<p>I do see "grain" in that (velvia) sky...I also see it in the out of focus green areas behind the flower. It is about the same amount as I see on a similar shots on RDP III, much less that RHP.</p>

<p>The grain I see on the film is not as bad as the "grain" on the velvia scan...so...I will give that another try. After I had another look at the velvia sky scan...there is definitely something wrong with the color...the sky much too saturated (compared to the film image).</p>

<p>Provia has always scanned well for me. I need more experience with velvia.</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>I don't shoot a lot of Velvia as it doesn't suit most of what I do, but there are occasionally times when I can use it and I always enjoy shooting it when the time and subject are right. But which Velvia? ;-)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.westernsteamphoto.com/temp_files/rawah-morning.jpg">Here's Velvia 50...</a><br>

and<br>

<a href="http://www.westernsteamphoto.com/temp_files/poudre-pond.jpg">Here's Velvia 100.</a></p>

<p>Both 35mm - Canon EOS-3 with Canon 24-70 f2.8L. Scanned with a Nikon V.</p>

<p>Note that I don't include any Velvia 100F, as it's simply not one of my favorite films.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>Scott T, we must both think alike, Velvia 100F is not a favorite of mine either. They should rename it, its not up to par in terms of Velvia 50 and 100, but I guess all film has its place and use. Wonderful images, especially the Velvia 100 shot. :)</p>

<p>Rich C shot #1- is there some doubling of the bottom of the image here? It looks like the same features are shown twice (see bottom left).<br>

Rich C shot #2- the reds appear almost totally blown out with little detail remaining. Does the slide look like this?</p>