Post Processing Challenge September 7, 2019

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Percé Rock, Gaspé, Québec

258224029_Inafog.thumb.jpg.0a036b21768fa1cb8465f2ca18a4375a.jpg

• Like 3

Version III: A bit of Color Efex's gradual neutral filter to brighten the sky, the top of the bluff, and the top of the other rock face. Then used several filters from PSE's paintbrush tool to modify colors. Used dodging tool to increase bright areas in the water. Finally, used ink outlines in brush stroke filter.

fogppgcopy3.thumb.jpg.809da32ff5730fde7f9196cc3be802cd.jpg

• Like 3

WK_Edit09072019_2.thumb.jpg.d66343a3a02a55a9d789bd03897c5d60.jpg Punta very nice image thank you for sharing. All work in ON1. Tone enhancer to add some contrast. Then I used a black and white filter to keep the muted tone of the image. Then I used a local adjustment to lighten the rocks below the house. Last I used a week sunshine filter to add a little brightness.
  • Like 4

Landscape photography is one of my favorite genres, and I often process my shots pretty simply, so wanted to do the same on this one and see the result. First step is to produce a dup layer and do an 'auto smart fix.' Then I create a new adjustment layer for levels, and move the end sliders around as it suits. Then I create a new adjustment layer for saturation, and move the slider for overall saturation as it suits. After I do these three steps, I adjust opacity as I see fit, or sometimes remove some of the adjustments. In this case, I left all the adjustments at 100% opacity. All processing done in PSE 13.1340457877_quebecimageforpnet.thumb.jpg.bdae1670dbf84a0cf61630596d320d85.jpg
  • Like 4

I didn't want to change this much, but I wanted to give it a bit more pop without losing the moodiness of the fog. So, I did the following, all in photoshop:

1. With a levels adjustment, I lightened the image by pulling down the white point and the midpoint, using a luminosity blend mode in order not to increase saturation.

2. I increased global contrast with a curve, again with luminosity blending.

3. I increased the saturation of the water, but only very slightly.

4. I increased contrast on the top of the rocks only, this time using a normal blend mode, so saturation was increased.

i-MWKDR62-X2.jpg

• Like 3

I like the photo a lot!

I had three goals here: 1) move the figure to add interest to the right side of the frame; 2) enhance the feeling of fogginess; and 3) reduce distracting elements on the left margin of the frame.

In Lightroom:

1. increased the exposure, reduced clarity and texture, and un-dehazed it

2. used an adjustment brush to restore clarity and texture and un-un-dehaze the top of the island, the house, and the figure

3. sharpened with a very heavy mask to restrict the sharpening to just the foreground, figure, house, and island-top

In Photoshop:

1. enlarged the canvas

2. used content aware move to move the figure. Not only was that not entirely successful, it was entirely not successful. I had to do a lot of cloning and healing to clean up after the move. I also enlarged the figure when I realized that I'd implicitly created a monster seagull.

3. cloned in more foreground and a strip along the right side of the frame in order to better position the figure

4. cloned out the flag—sorry to see it go, but it was too much of an eye-magnet over there on the edge of the frame

Back in Lightroom:

1. added a gradient in the new foreground to increase clarity, contrast, whites, and sharpness there

1574290_b04aab0725a9f3d4e1811b4718c7f27d-Edit-2.jpg.b906e86f5e3cdeb0c3b74e342cf6c506.jpg

• Like 4

Tom, what software did you use?

Hi, Michael. For the sketch part I used Dynamic Auto Painter from Mediachance (Pencil template*), followed by hue/saturation adjustments in PS. I use Windows, but I recently discovered that DAP has a version that runs on Mac as a “self-contained WINE build of Windows DAP HOME or PRO.” They offer free trials if interested.

*Not sure if this was a user-contributed one I downloaded or not.

• Like 1

Hi, Michael. For the sketch part I used Dynamic Auto Painter from Mediachance (Pencil template*), followed by hue/saturation adjustments in PS. I use Windows, but I recently discovered that DAP has a version that runs on Mac as a “self-contained WINE build of Windows DAP HOME or PRO.” They offer free trials if interested.

Thanks, Tom.

I interpreted this photo as a tranquil early morning scene, and used Darktable to increase the contrast and saturation, the highlights & shadows tool to darken the fog, a gradient to darken the foreground, and applied a global tone map. I think the figure is distracting, being mostly a silhouette, but left it.

ppchallenge-20190907-percerock-dt34.thumb.jpg.ebd6056beb74fdca598d1735295cd931.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, thanks for the tips.