Post Processing Challenge Saturday 5 Aug 2017

No cropping. Levels and curves adjustments, got rid of a little of the green tint on the lead guitarist. Amped up highlights (for "rhythmic punctuation") on the cymbals, background mics, and a few other spots. Opened up shadows on the drum set, so there'd be some depth and detail there. Kept as much shadow detail throughout, especially on their hair to keep the look naturalistic while hopefully not losing the drama of the stage lighting.

challenge-8-5-w.thumb.jpg.10b02c27e15958f807d90415b7dbbf1e.jpg

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I don't usually look in the "challenge" threads, but after seeing a different post by Fred G, I thought I'd peek in.

Done in the GIMP. I lifted the "exposure" (w/my own method) way up, then lifted blue channel since it was so low. I wanted to keep dark areas dark, both for ambience AND to keep the dark gritty noise down, but I thought the mid-tones needed to be lifted (you WOULD see them easily, in person). So I made a soft mask (dupe layer, desaturate, blur slightly, invert to negative, and use curves to make it "weak") to protect the highlights. Result is that midtones come up without blowing highlights.

18412443-orig.jpg

• Like 3