Post Processing Challenge, October 30, 2020

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

1959972104_oldtruckRhyoliteNV.thumb.jpg.36da178aa06aa956387b41089e062e45.jpg

An old truck in the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada.

• Like 3

My attempt: basic rgb curves to darken everything and keep a neutral color of the image (probably too much), inverted and blurred (bit too much..) red channel to darken highlights, applied red channel for contrast, usm high radius for detail.

track.jpg.350c9ae1c4c9f2261a31a265e995ce45.jpg

• Like 4

So, where do those flowers come into play? I don't get it.

Amanda is a new member who didn't understand that this thread is meant for the original photo to be post processed by various members. She took it to be a place to post her own post processing challenge. I wrote her a private message to explain this and she now understands how this thread works.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi Amanda,

It's wonderful to see that you're interested in post-processing (PP) and the 'Digital Darkroom. Forum members are perhaps the most knowledgeable, experienced and adventurous in using PP techniques. In this forum (as in most other PP forums), we all learn from each other. So a big welcome from me!

Please feel free to post any and all your questions in the 'Digital Darkroom forum"! In addition to 'general questions' (like yours) we also have a weekly 'PP challenge' thread which invites participants to play around with one original photo which is posted weekly. It's no problem that you've posted your question here but you might - going forward- want to post your questions as 'new threads' in the forum to avoid any confusion.

I like this 'de-saturated' photo because the (red) flowers stand out more than the (green) foliage. There are other suggestions that I could give but it would help if you let us know more how (and using which mobile/desktop apps) you edit your photos. Then we can tailor our suggestions to those that you can use in practice.

Mike

Okay, so what I did was this. After cropping the original picture at the bottom, I desaturated the color and darkened the contrast slightly to where the blooms stood out even more. I'm all ears for suggestions and such.

[ATTACH=full]1363218[/ATTACH]

Amanda, the Post Processing Challenge has been around for quite a while. Please . . . don't ever feel intimated by veteran participants like me. What you need to start working on a challenge image someone (like Glenn) has posted is to save it to your computer. After looking at the image for a while, deciding what you like and don't like about it, and thinking what you might do to bring it up to your own standards. Then you can post your version so that others can provide you with feedback.

My best, michael

Thanx for posting this excellent image, Glenn.

In Uruguay, this truck would be described as 'Showroom Condition'.

This zoomed-in view highlights the "Fine Corinthian Leather" of the interior and the unique emblem on the door, which is sure to rival anything the competitors can offer in any price range.

107683206_GlennChallengeOct312020-Edit.thumb.jpg.7cdf0d5c313d0f5d32cdd83e60bca9b8.jpg

• Like 5

Thanx for posting this excellent image, Glenn.

In Uruguay, this truck would be described as 'Showroom Condition'.

This zoomed-in view highlights the "Fine Corinthian Leather" of the interior and the unique emblem on the door, which is sure to rival anything the competitors can offer in any price range.

Haha...I'm sure that's the Kool-Aid they pour, but are people really drinking it? :)