Post Processing Challenge November 2, 2019

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

For a bit of a change, this is a Tropical Kingbird that is nesting in the palm tree outside our window. It deserves its name because it is 'ruling' our front yard.Kingbird.thumb.jpg.de65c3e985625c45c5ec3f714f5b20d0.jpg

• Like 3

1628299577_TropicalKingBird.thumb.jpg.a08c77a1df7417672ee39e2f3741c2cd.jpg While tom_r was going for the Audubon-ish look, I was going for the field guide-ish approach. All was done in PS.

To make the bird look more illustrated than photographed, I used the oil paint filter 3 times. Then I used the curvature pen tool to make a path around the bird and converted it to a selection, which I cut and pasted to a new layer and then flipped it horizontally. I used the crop tool to expand and adjust that layer to the dimensions I wanted. I put a layer filled with white below and added the text above. A bit of re-positioning was needed. I thought the bird could use a bit of drama so I gave it a drop shadow. A simple border was added with opacity reduced so it wasn't black.

Edited by PuntaColorada
  • Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1316547[/ATTACH] While tom_r was going for the Audubon-ish look, I was going for the field guide-ish approach. All was done in PS.

To make the bird look more illustrated than photographed, I used the oil paint filter 3 times. Then I used the curvature pen tool to make a path around the bird and converted it to a selection, which I cut and pasted to a new layer and then flipped it horizontally. I used the crop tool to expand and adjust that layer to the dimensions I wanted. I put a layer filled with white below and added the text above. A bit of re-positioning was needed. I thought the bird could use a bit of drama so I gave it a drop shadow. A simple border was added with opacity reduced so it wasn't black.

Punta,

Did you make up that text? Whatever, it's hilarious! Nice job on the bird extraction too.

Punta,

Did you make up that text? Whatever, it's hilarious! Nice job on the bird extraction too.

Yes. I made it up. There is a typo that I wish I could correct without having to do another full upload. I should be 'Rufous hornero' who's true scientific name is 'Furnarius rufus'

And thank you.

• Like 2

@michaellinder: it's weird but occasionally something in a photo - or in this case the bird's CV - immediately suggests an absurd (and hopefully humorous) PP edit to me. I laughed so much after reading @PuntaColorada's description that I looked up a 'real one'. And indeed, when it comes to defending its territory this cute-looking bird is a real fighter!

Mike, your sense of humor must be at least a bit similar to mine. I go for the absurd and bizarre.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...