Post Processing Challenge July 25, 2020

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by PuntaColorada, Jul 25, 2020.

  1. There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.
    If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

    Always ready!

  2. Minor adjust to shadows and highlights in LR. Then used NIK’s HDR Efex Pro 2 filter. 1615114_1e90cf219e5b60a28b83a476d8acd9a2_HDR.jpg
  3. ppcfire2.jpg
    The fire truck gets a new paint job by Ken Kesey. Used "select color range" in Photoshop to select red and then the inverse. Copied the selection and pasted it on psychedelic color panel. Then used "magic wand" to select individual panels and added additional colorful patterns. Selected the truck, then selected the inverse, and reduced saturation and vibrance of the background.
  4. Again, Punta's da man!
    Attempts with Topaz tools: Gigapixel AI, Simplify 4 BuzSim and Sharpen AI.
  5. Photoshop: Converted the background to B&W; Reduced the background exposure; Boosted the fire engine exposure; Field Blurred the background; Boosted the tire exposure; Boosted the overall exposure. 25 July Challenge.jpg
  6. I had the idea of changing color too but Glen's version just blew me away! This was another idea. Sorry I destroyed your great photo, @PuntaColorada. I've (again) focused on the 'have fun' part of the challenge :).

    fire engine - mike.jpg
  7. interesting choice, Punta! I decided not to follow the crowd. So, I used Silver Efex to convert the image to b & w. Then, in PSE2020, I used the burning and dodging tools to adjust the tonality, followed by a bit of sharpening.

  8. 1615114_1e90cf219e5b60a28b83a476d8acd9a2-Edit-Edit.jpg
    1. In Lightroom, I increased the white point, lowered highlights, increased clarity, shadows, vibrance, and texture.
    2. In Photoshop, I selected the truck using select subject, which almost worked—lots of clean-up with a brush.
    3. I enlarged the canvas, duplicated the truck layer multiple times, then positioned and resized them.
    4. For each truck, I did a color range selection for the reds, then added a hue/saturation adjustment layer and tweaked the hue, saturation, and lightness.
    5. I couldn’t make a convincing orange, but I found an enthusiastic volunteer as a stand-in.
    6. I cloned in the pavement in the foreground (rather messily--I got careless there).
    7. I added a background layer from one of my photos of Redwood National Park.
    8. I messed around some with the reflections on windows and bumpers to make it slightly less obvious that they’re all the same truck.
    9. Back in Lightroom, I tweaked the colors a bit more using adjustment brushes to modify temperature, tint, exposure, and vibrance. I would have had a hard time doing the radical color changes in Lightroom, but I found the fine-tuning a lot easier in Lightroom than in Photoshop.
  9. PSE 14, B&W, crop, clone shadows, adj light and dark. Fire engine-web.jpg
  10. Using PS CS6. Selected the firetruck, pasted in on to a photo of a fire, adjusted color and saturation.
  11. Curves and channels adjustments. firetrack.jpg
    PuntaColorada likes this.

Share This Page