Post Processing Challenge July 13, 2019

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.DSC_0752.thumb.jpg.f3582ad0fe163c8166c1d1e93fe591b6.jpg

• Like 5

Maybe I'll get around to surfacing submarines, water skiers, Hippos and Loch Ness monsters later;).

The 'portrait' composition for this type of photo is unusual but in this case very effective IMHO. The canoe gives me the impression of being 'cast adrift' which the portrait perspective emphasizes. I haven't a clue whether whether this 'impression' has any basis in reality but it doesn't really matter.

So here are my first two versions:

Version 1:

- adjust levels

- add a HPF to the canoe

- resize and move the canoe so that it's more prominent in a (cropped) photo

- add a touch of red to the trees in the background to suggest 'late evening'

Version two:

Based on version 1 (with different resizing) and landscape cropping

- 'Adrift' seemed to me the essence of this version

Mike

278072459_canoe-mike-1.thumb.jpg.cf4e784d1e0b347425c782442d2f3485.jpg

70737462_canoe-2.thumb.jpg.fa81619430d883ec34741141562ad30b.jpg

• Like 5

Ahh! So much to play with here! Couldn’t decide which half to work with, so I did both. Here’s the bottom…

1567570_ed60747b6c9ef22d6a15486ade7f0c1b-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.32bec0fc68066f947bd5e12de13ca428.jpg

In Lightroom:

1. increased white point, decreased highlights, increased shadows, texture, clarity
  2. cropped
  3. cooled it down slightly to bring out the blues
  4. healed out anything that wasn’t smooth water

In Photoshop: I enlarged the canvas (I was expecting to have to stretch part of the water to increase the space below the canoe and to the left of the canoe, but decided to try the context-aware fill while enlarging the canvas, and it worked beautifully)

• Like 5

And here’s the top part…

1567570_ed60747b6c9ef22d6a15486ade7f0c1b-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg.79051111d6c542daec2b740687c58f12.jpg

In Lightroom:

1. a lot of messing with the sliders. All of them.
  2. a lot of messing with the HSL panel sliders (saturation and hue). All of those, too.
  3. adjustment brushes and gradients to remove detail and contrast in the background, and to reduce texture and sharpness there

In Photoshop:

1. cropped out the center
  2. enlarged the canvas to give more foreground
  3. selected the water, and stretched it downward to fill in the enlarged canvas

Back in Lightroom:

1. cloning to remove any distracting bright spots
  2. gradient to increase sharpness, contrast, clarity, texture, and decrease black point in foreground
  3. further obfuscation of the background

In retrospect, I think I need something distinct in the in-focus foreground to draw attention; otherwise my eye goes straight to the out-of-focus background and registers that it's out of focus.

• Like 5

You did us proud, Punta - again!

I started in PSE15 with using the clone stamp tool to move the boat into the darker area of water and toward the left. Then, I did considerable cropping from the bottom, and changed the aspect ratio to landscape. Next, I used the levels sliders to increase the shadow and the highlights, but not the midtones. After slightly modifying the overall hue and boosting saturation moderately, I finished with Output Sharpener.

todaycolor.thumb.jpg.d8a45c96b48914dd2b71bfb3a4457e4d.jpg

• Like 5

Ahh! So much to play with here! Couldn’t decide which half to work with

Leslie, you made a really effective strategic decision to work with each half. Each image that resulted from this has its own appearance, character, and story. The first is a study in simplicity, while the second is a lesson in color and light.

WK_Edit07132019_1.thumb.jpg.945f374e3741b400c5886f2a9863d0bb.jpg

Punta very nice image. Thanks for shearing. All work done in GIMP.

1. I cloned out a small black object near the boat.

2. I changed the WB a little to the cool side.

3. I did a small crop of the image to move the boat slightly.

4. I made set of Luminosity mask.

5. I created a layer that I used a green to blue Gradient Map on to add color and contrast to the background. I used the Light 2 Luminosity mask to mask the foreground.

• Like 4