Post Processing Challenge January 11, 2020

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Neddie's Harbour, Newfoundland

_DSC7611.thumb.jpg.28822685ee2953d758555d82bb7e6b31.jpg

• Like 2

Like @Rick Bortnick's 1st version, I went for a bit more drama with a couple of tweaks:

- an extra boat (I like triplets), leading the eye up to a more prominent (scaled-up) building on the shoreline

- removed the aerial on the first boat because I preferred an uninterrupted horizontal shoreline

- did a general wash and brush-up (levels/contrast, brightening the right boat, giving the clouds moret texture).

I should add that - outside this forum - I never add or remove factual details from photos! But this forum is just messing about for fun. And to practice and learn. I do occasionally remove 'distracting details' in photos of people (fire bells, cables, stains on walls, etc).

boats-mike.thumb.jpg.0c6ae16dc87564a7fd724adb83acc7b0.jpg

Edited by mikemorrell
  • Like 3

Hi Rick, I really like this - very creative! The phrase 'cubisme' springs to mind.I've never seen this kind of technique/filter before. Care to tell us more about how you created this? I'm always curious and eager to learn about something that's completely new to me!

Mike

Then I thought what the heck...

[ATTACH=full]1324810[/ATTACH]

Howdy all,

I'm glad you like it. As you know, I don't come around here much more, but when I do, I come to this forum & it lets me show a filter I use a lot on my own images. Its a Redfield plugin called Umatrix 3D. There is quite a bit one can do with it. Not everyones cup of tea but it is fun & I have been doing Cubism with it.

• Like 2

That looked good, but I could not leave well enough alone, so I duplicated the image, flipped it horizontally in Photoshop CS5, and pasted it adjacent to the original image with the same ColorEfex settings. I added the windsurfer to help break the symmetry, then fixed the numbers on the far left boat by copying the numbers on the right boat, rotating the numbers, erasing one number, and pasting the result over the far left numbers. ppc2.thumb.jpg.57400be6d0db13230ab61f1b74f5bc08.jpg
  • Like 4

It's funny - I know that the outboard on the right-hand boat is part of the original, but the pictures where some of us have removed it look more 'real' to me. I think it's how stark the white line on the upper-right curve of the motor separates it from the water in the original almost makes is look like it was 'shopped in.

• 8 months later...