Post Processing Challenge February 8, 2020

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Yesterday, the 'Ohana' passed Punta Fria en route to Piriápolis, Uruguay. The vessel was made in New Zealand and is registered in Italy with a charter license from Spain. It is 49.7m long, has 8 crew, has room for 10 passengers, and can be chartered for approx. U$S155,000 per week. The current voyage to Piriápolis seems to have started in the far-south of Chile (Punta Arenas). That is 2,385km from Piriápolis as-the-crow-flies.

The size of 'Ohana' is put into perspective when you consider that Punta Fria (foreground) is 3.2km from where I took the shot, the 'Ohana' is at least 0.5km beyond that, and the relative sizes of lamp posts and the truck rounding the corner of Punta Fria. I took this with a Sigma 150-500mm lens.

The 'Ohana' is not the largest sailing vessel in Piriápolis harbour at the moment. The 'Dona Francesca' (registered in Uruguay) is 6m longer and has two masts.

Ohana.thumb.jpg.f9ed6fa5f10cb8d14a4f29c2108bdec3.jpg

Edited by PuntaColorada
  • Like 3

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Yesterday, the 'Ohana' passed Punta Fria en route to Piriápolis, Uruguay. The vessel was made in New Zealand and is registered in Italy with a charter license from Spain. It is 49.7m long, has 8 crew, has room for 10 passengers, and can be chartered for approx. U$S155,000 per week. The current voyage to Piriápolis seems to have started in the far-south of Chile (Punta Arenas). That is 2,385km from Piriápolis as-the-crow-flies.

The size of 'Ohana' is put into perspective when you consider that Punta Fria (foreground) is 3.2km from where I took the shot, the 'Ohana' is at least 0.5km beyond that, and the relative sizes of lamp posts and the truck rounding the corner of Punta Fria. I took this with a Sigma 150-500mm lens.

The 'Ohana' is not the largest sailing vessel in Piriápolis harbour at the moment. The 'Dona Francesca' (registered in Uruguay) is 6m longer and has two masts.

[ATTACH=full]1328952[/ATTACH]

Punta, thanks for both the image and the narrative. I think I'll rent the vessel for a month! By the way, this is the second time I've detected small circles in the sky. They also show up in Bill's version. You might want to check whatever lens you used for stuff that doesn't belong to it. Also, I have no idea at all about what might have been in the sky that enabled me to create the effects in both my versions.

Edited by michaellinder
  • Like 1

Punta, thanks for both the image and the narrative. I think I'll rent the vessel for a month! By the way, this is the second time I've detected small circles in the sky. They also show up in Bill's version. You might want to check whatever lens you used for stuff that doesn't belong to it. Also, I have no idea at all about what might have been in the sky that enabled me to create the effects in both my versions.

Yes Michael. I need to clean my sensor. It's been very dry and dusty here of late. ;)

49512187773_224742f97e_h.jpgPN-Challenge02-08-2020_DxO by David Stephens, on Flickr

• Processed with DxO PhotoLab 3
  • Removed dusk spots
  • Leveled horizon .77=degrees
  • Raised unsharp mask to 205
  • Set Clearview to 71

• Lowered Highlights to -25
  • Raised Shadows to +12
  • Used Graduated Filter to lower sky by 1
  • Vibrancy +5

Couldn't get rid of CA on mast, etc. With RAW file, that would have been an additional step.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...