Post-processing challenge April 2 2022

There are no rules as to how you apply your post-processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn. If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Gaasbeek Castle (Belgium)

1290617185_PPchallenge2022-04-02.thumb.jpg.bb45775424e8bf7f373c8dfc091a8659.jpg

• Like 5

1881990402_ppccastle.thumb.jpg.2406fe362d8b887f2b1b0e3739f5c955.jpg

I started by straightening the image and cropping in Photoshop, then converted to black and white using a strong green filter in NIK SilverEfex to bring out grass details and compress the tonal range, combined the BW version with the color version, and finally used Topaz Simplify with painting settings.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 5

With RawTherapee: darkened the image with some negative exposure compensation, warmed up the white balance to look more like a Fall afternoon, boosted the colors a little, increased the midtone contrast, added dehaze to bring out more blue in the sky, added a modest vignette, and a lot of crop. Then used Gimp to remove the sign on the fence and the stray cloud above the tree. The image was beginning to look oversharpened with that much crop, so I ran it through Nik Color Effects Tonal Contrast to soften it a bit.

1686931-g-clean-9-nik-tcsoft-2.thumb.jpg.eef754e82a7cb2785649c1e84d24e828.jpg

Moonrise, Gaasbeek Castle Reflecting Pool, September 2018

• Like 5

The first step was to correct the overall geometry on all axis--then crop down. A Nik High Structure (smooth) layer created in Silver Effects, and fine-tuning of the structure adjustments. Then a new layer based on that--and Antique Plate I applied. Then a little midtone and shadow enhancement on the buildings to add a bit of curious 'pop' that one sees with old hand-tinted prints. This burning deepens the overall sepia-tone where it is done. All in PS and Nik Collection v4.

castle-scape.thumb.jpg.8207f5554850f38397e31d205e050228.jpg

• Like 5

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!