Post Processing Challenge April 11, 2020

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

I saw this on a walk a few months ago. I had to take a snap of it with my phone. I didn't know Renault made trucks. And this is a fine example. Orange.

I want to issue a specific challenge this week. Something that we all need. Use this photo to MAKE US SMILE:) as if an orange Renault truck isn't funny enough (except perhaps to the owner).20180731_163922.thumb.jpg.75c2714b316862d800e454547bcbc54b.jpg

• Like 5

1601640_71fa8819df1d8809751040410038206e.thumb.jpg.736fbf3ecdde7a3c985be883405cd39b.jpg

Edited in LR.

1. Converted to black and white.

2. +30 contrast.

3. -35 blacks.

4. -66 on the blue in the Black and White Mix.

5. Split toned the highlights using the orange from the truck.

6. Sharpening - 70

7. Lens Correction

8. -20 on Post-Crop Vignetting

Oh, and cropped it so headlights were at the lower 1/3rd.

• Like 4

383804469_D06-1601640_71fa8819df1d8809751040410038206e2-Edit.jpg.5acfb6cf81ec19b6e47c51f4586dbf85.jpg

Just working on it made me smile—thanks, Punta!

I worked this almost completely in Photoshop:

1. Magnetic selection tool to capture the truck into its own layer.
  2. Lots of cloning to clean up what’s seen through the windows,
  3. Duplicated the background layer and cloned everything out but the sky, hills, and foreground.
  4. Enlarged and stretched the background sideways to give me a wide enough canvas.
  5. Duplicated the truck layer, and strew them about.
  6. Lots of cloning and healing to clean up some of the paint jobs.
  7. Did a bit of lettering with the clone tool.

Then into Lightroom:

1. Defocused the background trucks.
  2. Modified the color on some of the trucks to make ‘em very slightly different.
  3. Darkened side-panels on two of ‘em where they were close to their neighbors.
  4. Oddly, I wasn't even tempted to touch the basic adjustments--a first for me.

• Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1337073[/ATTACH]

Just working on it made me smile—thanks, Punta!

I worked this almost completely in Photoshop:

Then into Lightroom:

Oddly, I wasn't even tempted to touch the basic adjustments--a first for me.

Leslie, are you planning to open a dealership?

• Like 3

Welcome back, Punta! To me, the image screamed for a square crop, which I executed in PSE15. Then, also in PSE, I made a drastic change to the car's width by altering the image perspective. This gave a strange appearance to the wires. After converting the image to b&w using Silver Efex, I went back to PSE and significantly boosted the low end level.

233476763_carppccopy.thumb.jpg.2ffb3a76361fc4b2f631712dd82b33a8.jpg

• Like 3

ppc.thumb.jpg.f59a8072c8f07bec72eeab6e659c1ffb.jpg

I started by removing background wires using the eraser in Photoshop CC. Then I started playing with selecting areas of the car and then warping them, a technique that I had never tried before. Then I pasted the image of the clown in the drivers seat. Next, I selected the car and increased saturation and vibrance.

• Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1337170[/ATTACH]

I started by removing background wires using the eraser in Photoshop CC. Then I started playing with selecting areas of the car and then warping them, a technique that I had never tried before. Then I pasted the image of the clown in the drivers seat. Next, I selected the car and increased saturation and vibrance.

Glenn, your post and Leslie's are more in line of what I was hoping for in this challenge.

[ATTACH=full]1337170[/ATTACH]

Glenn, could that be Emmett Kelly?

LastVersionEasterCar-gigapixel.thumb.jpg.62b7ef78e47410db4a44a4bc3f4c4d3c.jpg

Whew…lots of fiddling around to get this one. Used Topaz Mask AI, Codijy Pro for the colors, lots of PS messing around with layers and vibrance, and a free “insert your own captions” place on the web.

• Like 5

Thanks, Tom--I hadn't thought of adding text...that opens up a whole new set of possibilities...

[ATTACH=full]1337274[/ATTACH]

Hilarious! And great quality! It looks like a poster one could buy.

Here’s another possible caption:

So that’s what our son was laughing about in that high squeaky voice when he filled our tires from that tall tank!

OR

SON + HELIUM TANK = PARENTS' WORST NIGHTMARE

Edited by tom_r
  • Like 4

Had to give it another shot--I figured out how to add the drivers. The problem was how to get them into the right orientation, and for that I ended up using Glenn's warping method, along with a fair bit of cloning to fill in missing parts (all in Photoshop). Then I added the relevant shadows in Lightroom.524336631_D06-trafficjam2-Edit.jpg.386bfcaebe979e166ada04b2cf3d5dfa.jpg
  • Like 4

Had to give it another shot--I figured out how to add the drivers. The problem was how to get them into the right orientation, and for that I ended up using Glenn's warping method, along with a fair bit of cloning to fill in missing parts (all in Photoshop). Then I added the relevant shadows in Lightroom.[ATTACH=full]1337288[/ATTACH]

That's the spirit!

Only in the vast expanses of space will a Renault Truck and a Tesla collide! I bet the Tesla was in self driving mode and the driver of the Renault was following the directions of a GPS to the letter!

• Like 3

This was one of those times when I wished I'd taken up embroidery or solving 3-D jigsaws rather than PP :). The color of the truck reminded me of the ubiquitous small water taxis that ply their trade in Rotterdam. Great, I thought! I have a few photos of these taxis that I can use. But the perspective of the wake was never quite right in my photos. So I ended up putting bits of various photo together. And and copying, pasting and editing various 'splashes'. My warmest thanks and attributions to the people who so kindly allow their photos to be re-used in modified form are at the bottom.

1409512731_Truck2.thumb.jpg.888124a860b91d5151900f8271166ac4.jpg

My thanks and attributions go to:

- Dinesh Valke on Flickr for making this photo available under a CC BY-SA 2.0 licence (link); I've used a modified version of the photo as my background image

- Nathan Moore on pexels.for for making this photo freely available; I've re-used the people in his photo.

- pxfuel.com for making this photo available; the bears are in the driving seat

• Like 5

Hello fellow challengers.

I won't be posting a challenge tomorrow. I had a hard drive failure and can't easily sort through my images. I have multiple backups but they are not easily accessed. Now....how to get a 3TB fusion hard drive replaced on a 27" iMac....IN URUGUAY!

Hello fellow challengers.

I won't be posting a challenge tomorrow. I had a hard drive failure and can't easily sort through my images. I have multiple backups but they are not easily accessed. Now....how to get a 3TB fusion hard drive replaced on a 27" iMac....IN URUGUAY!

Ok, I don't have many candidate shots, but I uploaded one.

• 5 months later...