Post Processing Challenge 30th Sept 2017

Another weekly challenge.

If anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate by Wednesday next in this thread if you are willing to try.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, but if you can give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

PPC-30thSept2017-Source-1.thumb.jpg.b6c4648574aae7261dc29ed6bc1e97a9.jpg

• Like 1

This one was complicated. I was going for the sun-breaks-through-as-a-storm-is-clearing look, with practice-all-the-editing-stuff-I’m-weak-at as the primary editing motivation. So I bounced it from Lightroom to Photoshop to Color Efex (Nik collection), where I played with all the presets with giddy exhilaration and a notable lack of inhibition. I settled on dialing up the Brilliance and Warmth, adding a bit of Warm Glow, playing with contrast, and a couple of others. Back in Photoshop I started patch-tooling and healing-brushing and clone-tooling to make the locale look a bit more timeless. Then I returned to Lightroom, where I added dark gradients for the sky and foreground to try to give the impression of sunlight in the mid-ground, added a radial gradient over the buildings to lighten and warm them, and then used a lot of adjustment brushes to do things like emphasizing sunlight in some places, darkening the hillside behind the buildings to bring the buildings out more, lightening part of the cliffs to make them less monolithic, softening the sky (=undoing some of the damage I’d done in Color Efex), adding some variation in the foreground gravels, and so on (10 in all). Oh yeah, the boat. I invented the front of the boat with the help of the clone tool in Photoshop, using the clone-source panel to play with the angle of the gunwale, then smoothing the edges with the clone tool and shading the hull with the adjustment brush. This is the first time I’ve used Color Efex, and I can tell that this is going to be a dangerously fun piece of software.

1476503_0762c0941decec37c5251f807d11dc90-Edit-Edit-2.jpg.57f5510870ab20bf8e4eed95c9529a9a.jpg

• Like 3

Processed in DxO Optics Pro 11.4.2.

Cropped

Raised EV .83

Raised Shadows +42

Applied "Clearview" (DxO preset, contrast/saturation/etc.)

Lowered Highlights -.36

Lowered Contrast -32

Raised Microcontrast +19

36704158354_e755ca9431_b.jpgPN Processing Challeng 09-30-2017 by David Stephens, on Flickr

Thanks for another great file to work with.

Edited by dcstep
  • Like 5

Michael, I saw your post not long after you posted it. There was no picture there. One recommendation is, because the new PN is so finicky and unreliable: after posting a photo and confirming it, leave the page and then come back to the page to make sure your photo is there.
  • Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Michael, I saw your post not long after you posted it. There was no picture there. One recommendation is, because the new PN is so finicky and unreliable: after posting a photo and confirming it, leave the page and then come back to the page to make sure your photo is there.

Thanks, Fred. I wish I had done what you suggested.