Post Processing Challenge 10th June 2017

I think that what this photo needed was placing the pier more towards the vertical center. Since tilting the camera down was no longer an option, I started by pasting the image on a larger size canvas in Photoshop CS5, and then cloning and copying and pasting various pieces of water below the pier, and then cropping the result. With more work the blending could have been smoother. 1795546164_ppc6-10.thumb.jpg.18b8266ab95de7b15245d3b41bfbcae0.jpg
  • Like 2

I wanted the pier to float so I cropped out the foreground water and the pilings. It rebalanced the composition for sure. I found the strong purple coloring a bit odd, so I desaturated and then kind of resaturated toward reds and yellows for the pier and toward green and red for the water. I was heading toward an almost retro kind of colorization for the people and the pier. To get that, I mildly desaturated the pier with the sepia tool and then used some color balance to get the colors and tones the way I thought worked best. The two people I liked the most were the young woman on the left with her arms raised and the shirtless guy in the back so I used some lighting filters to bring attention to them.

challenge-06-10-w.thumb.jpg.0007f32359ef227c7c8dfb28bb93a4d9.jpg

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Thanks DC, but I think that Fred is right concerning the purple shade of the water, and I like igord's colors, other than the water. So, I think that there is a lot more that could be done with this image.

Your crop, to my eye, is by far the strongest here. The added canvas was really a plus. I would also argue that your colors are the most accurate. I didn't participate, but I'll bet that if you put the color eye-dropper on some of those white closes, it'll come closer to yours than Fred's. (No offense Fred).