Possible ACR 4.5 issue with D300 files

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by michael_bradtke, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Just a quick FYI for you folks with the D300 and Photoshop CS3. Last night I updated ACR to 4.5.
    Today Bridge does not read my D300 files properly.

When I open them in ACR everything is fine. But when I am trying to browse them in Bridge the thumbnails all have a
    heavy black line around them. They also stay small when I try to view them in the preview window.If I leave the folder
    open long enough in Bridge the rotated files un rotate the symbol for a file having been edited in ACR does not show.

It is only my D300 files that are affected. My D2h and my D100 files are fine. I also have some Canon 5D CR2 files
    that are not affected.

I suspect its the update because I can view the same files on my laptop using ACR 4.4 and not have any problems.

I have gone so far as to uninstall and then re install CS3. Once I run all of the updates it has the same behavior.

Any ideas that any one might have are appreciated.

Michael

2. "But when I am trying to browse them in Bridge the thumbnails all have a heavy black line around them."

This is a cache issue. I'm up to date with 4.5 and mine have that black line temporarily as well. It goes away
    once the folder has cached out and when it has cached, they behave like normal. Have you dumped your cache like I
    instructed in the digital darkroom?

3. I went back to your original post, and see you have dumped your cache. Sorry, don't know what to suggest if you've also done a clean install. What a pain...

4. Yes I have dumped my cache. I have tried moving the cache I have tried dispersing the cache. None of that has changed the behavior of Bridge
    The black lines may be a sign of a cache issue but that would not explain the loss of the edit symbol or the un rotation of the files as it builds the thumbnails.

The oddest part to me is the 5D files working fine. They are approximately the same size as the D300 files.

5. "The black lines may be a sign of a cache issue but that would not explain the loss of the edit symbol or the un rotation of the files as it builds the thumbnails."

None of this shows up until the black boxes disappear and then caches out to show your edits.

6. I am now trying a new install using a fresh download from Adobe. I have hopes that it will have ACR 4.4 in it and I can skip the update to 4.5.

I may try the DNG conversion but that would take a lot of space. I will shoot up to 900 shots in a weekends worth of work. I would hate to have to duplicate every file as a DNG just to be able to view them normally in Bridge.

Thanks for your time.

Michael

7. Garrison
    Thanks for your help.
    A fresh download and install has fixed the problem. Who knows what set it off.

Shun feel free to burn this thread if you want to.

Michael

8. awesome! but seriously consider more ram :)

9. Michael, I upgraded to 4.5 manually. That is, I the download the latest version and then extracted the Camera Raw.8bi file into the appropriate folder and no problems so far.

I have a question of my own though - sorry.

Does anyone know how to view a section of a Bridge file at 100%. Currently when I hover my mouse over a thumb nail and then click it, it zooms to 200%. It's been driving me crazy for ages as I can't figure it out, and I really want to do some quick reviews at 100% only.

10. Michael it may be worth the trouble to proceed to 4.5 even if you see a risk that the problem may occur again.
    (The problem should NOT occur and I think it was related to the cache. There is still a bug related to purging
    the cache. )

The current ACR 4.5 version allows you to use the newer camera profiles for Canon and Nikon models. The new
    profiles are an improvement over the older ones. Especially for people working in a controlled environment (like
    studio with a well set light system) dedicated camera profiles seem to give a significant improvement. Such
    profiles can now be produced with the free additional software from Adobe and a color checker tablet.

See this documentation by Adobe:
    http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

11. Andy
    On my desk top I just use the scroll wheel on my mouse. On my lap top I am not sure.

Walter.

I have done the update and it is fine right now. Thanks for the link I am going to give the camera profiler a try.

Michael

12. Walter

Thanks for those links. It looks like some very useful information. I may try to build a profile for my D300