Positive result of Scanhancer diffuser on flatbed scanners

I want to report that the use of the Scanhancer plastic diffuser

(http://www.scanhancer.com) significantly improves the quality of

the scans performed on flatbed scanners. It was known to have a

positive grain reduction (grain dissolver) effect on dedicated

minolta film scanners, but nothing was told about flatbed scanner

The most efficient way I've found to use it is by cutting 2 custom

pieces fitting the Doug's MF film holder

(http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mfholderintro.html)

calibration and film areas.

Details of the configuration and picture of the effect can be seen

at http://www.mathieu-dooms.net/benoit/scanhancer.htm

I hope these results will be of interst for some of you.

Benoit.

Benoit, I'm puzzled as to why one would add extra diffusion to an already heavily diffused and already less-than-critically-sharp scanner (Epson flatbed).

Have you removed the existing diffuser, then mounted Scanhancer on Doug's carrier? Interesting idea, if so.

My usually-discerning 19" flat screen monitor doesn't reveal the change in grain that you describe.

Please post another depiction of before and after.

I use Doug's (excellent) carrier with anti-newton glass, but my goal is flat film and MORE sharpness. If I could resolve 120 grain with my own Epson flatbed, I'd be ecstatic!

Jhon,

I use an extra diffuser because the lid of the Epson 4180 is made of two ccfl tubes. Without this extra plastic, you get light fall-off on the edge of the medium format. It also help to keep the film flat.

BTW, the picture area where I present the effect is a tiny crop of a full 6x6 negative. The effect is visible on a CRT monitor.

Benoit

With my 3200 I do not get falloff with 120. Perhaps a lesser model has that problem.

Similarly, film flatness is not a problem if you use Doug's carrier with anti-newton glass.

Grain isn't inherently a bad thing, but because of the scanner's inherent softness none of the examples has begun to resolve "grain," which doesn't exist in C41 film in any case.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I strongly support Messieur Benoit Mathieu statements and claims. Having been a user

of Minolta Dimage Multi Pro and Scanhancer for a while, I do get excellent results. The

problem we faced was productivity and massive scans (multiple stripes of slides/negatives,

Fuji NPH 400, NPS, Velvia 50, 100F, 400F and now Velvia 100). Tipical size is 645 and 67,

with some 66.

We were looking for a RELIABLE, FAST, not depending on the skill of the operator, CHEAP,

and CONSISTENT way of scanning stripes fast, with quality for excellent prints (via MPIX,

Costco, or Inkjet) up to 11x14 (tipical size would be 8x10). As little photoshop as

possible, ideally automated under actions and the new bridge. So far, no solution was

good enough.

With the Epson 4870, we started some tests, the results were encouraging. Thanks to

Doug MF Holder, the light was close, but not close enough. Using the ANR Glass, we got

much better results. During a 35 min scan of 4/5 slides, the film WILL BEND, no matter

how good you take care of it. The glass helped, but in the process we lost ICE. Even if ICE

is painfully slow, it removes the need for a photoshop expert, and produces much more

consistent results (remember consistency is key, as well as quality).

Then I made a try with Minolta Scanhancer, which barely can fit the size of MF holder (too

small), taped a 67 negative and a couple of positives, and did many tests. Light images,

darker images, low contrast, high contrast, with/out dust, all you can imagine, since 8

multipass with ICE (not recommended). The scanhancer did the job outstandingly.

Of course we want more. I am trying to convince Erik to make a custom one for me, and

possibly ask Doug to think about a TWO STRIPE MF Holder for 2 stripes at a time.

We are also researching SCANMAX (Julio Fernandez) wet scanning solution for the 4870.

Julio will have a custom made set for us next week. Will let you know.

I would not recommend spending the extra bucks if you only scan once in a while, but for

real digital workflow, it will pay itself in two days of photoshop operator, plus savings in

scanner hardware, plus the option of using several scanners in paralel.

Gustavo M.