Positioning (distance) subject relative to backdrop.

robert_reiss

Zenmaster Hal, are you going to start whacking people with sticks soon? Six

feet is a general rule of thumb to keep the light fall off from showing up on the

background using a fairly standard portrait lighting with the lights high and

angled down. As Hal has pointed out, modify from there...

If 6 feet from the subject, (as the question was asked) then how far from the light? How big is a light that should be six feet from the background? Is the background black or white? Do I want the shadow of the subject on the background... or not? Do I want the light to spill on the background behind the shadowed side of the subject? Or not? <p>Please excuse me, but "six feet" means nothing to the question as it was asked "What is the correct distance from the backdrop to a subject for portraits?". (you may call me "Zen Master Pinhead" if you like, but "6 feet" is still a bogus answer)... t<div>005Lhh-13291584.jpg.884c36006308334f7f0578f4ad7b419f.jpg</div>

To quote you: <br><br>"You relly need a minimum of 8 ft between one human

subject and the background in order to fit the lights behind your subject and

still get an even spread of light on the background."<br><br>In general, a

good bit of space behind the subject makes the key and fill lights negligable

(good old inverse square law) allowing independent control of the

background. It also allows for blurring the background using DOF.

Somewhat a standard approach, and like the rule of thirds, a good starting

place. Nothing bogus about it.<br><br>If you keep answering questions wih

questions, you're well on your way towards being a zen master. The pinhead

question you will have to meditate on. <br><br>Oh, and nice shot. Did you

do that in your too small shooting space?

Note the presence of a specific goal and desired effect in my quoted tutorial: "...in order to fit the lights behind your subject and still get an even spread of light on the background."<p> None of these qualifiers were present in Roberts request. Maybe he (like me in the above example) doesn't want an "even spread of light on the background". Maybe he has a group of 8 people in front of that background-in-a-bag (six feet might not suffice). He might not even have a light to fit behind a subject. We only knew that he had the background in a bag.<p> Robert, it's a fluid situation. Imagine asking "how far should a light be from a subject for portraits?" <i>Any</i> two word response would be bogus.<p> The above portrait was made in his sculpture studio which was jammed full of all the crap an artist needs to make big 3d stuff, and lots of other stuff that was just in the way. He was about 2 ft off the background, hence the idea that utilized strong sidelight :^)... t<div>005MS4-13314184.jpg.be83884de2b26c39cf35f0726d23a8ee.jpg</div>

since I've posted two (ha) many photos in this thread, let me clarify. The sculptor in the hat was 2 ft off the yellow background, in <i>his</i> studio. The painter was 2 and 8 ft off the backgrounds in <i>my</i> studio... t