I was denied access to for some reason. There was also a reference to

a US Navy site, but I was also denied access to that. I hope I don't

have to write my own program to derive the appropriate information. I

did find some reference to Palm Pilot programs, but I don't have such

a PDA, and I would rather not have to carry one with me in the field

anyway.

I understand generally about the path the sun takes in the sky, but I

am having a little trouble visualizing it three dimensionally. Can

anyone recommend a reference for a refresher course on such matters?

Leanord, I did a quick Google search for "navigation tables" and found this:

National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) Maritime Safety Information Division http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/index/index.html

I didn't delve into the site at all but it may get you the information you need for altitude and azimuth of the sun at a specific location.

The standard reference used by the US Navy to explain all this is "American Practical Navigator (Bowditch)". Here's another link that has some of the typical stuff used in celestial calculations and also offers Bowditch for sale.

http://www.waypoints.com/celestialsupplies.html

Calculating sunrise and sunset times by hand is not too difficult. Both the US Navy and Royal Navy publish tables each year to do this. The Local Apparent Noon, the time of day when the sun is at its highest, follows from sunrise and sunset.

The azimuth angle is a bit more difficult and time consuming. Believe me, being able to get this info from the 'net or a computer program is MUCH easier than doing it by hand from the tables. Have fun and good luck!

Hi Leonard �

The Naval Observatory publications are helpful if you�re an astronomer, but might be confusing otherwise. If the basic movement of the sun confuses you, then tables of coordinates might not be quite the ticket.

I assume you�re in the Northern Hemisphere. If you face south, the sun will rise on your left and set on your right. It will reach it�s highest at roughly 1:00 PM (not noon, because of daylight savings time). In the summer, the sun rises in the northeast (or slightly behind you if you�re still facing south) and sets in the northwest. In the winter, the sun rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest and makes a lower path in the sky.

From the tropics, the sun rises nearly due east and sets nearly due west and passes high overhead all year long.

From the southern hemisphere the sun moves right to left as you face north.

If this didn�t help, visit your local library and browse through entry level astronomy texts�.one will surely have some pictures that will help you. I teach astronomy part time at the local college and I know that visualizing (and explaining!) the movements of the sun and stars is sometimes difficult.

I carry a $3 compass with me so I can predict where the sun and moon will be. It�s helped me many times.

Charles,

Or I could try Ptolemy instead. He had the geometry wrong, but for calculations his geometry would work just as well as Galileo's, perhaps better.

More seriously, I managed to find some sites myself doing a google search of the net for "position of sun in the sky". One at

www.helioclim.net/com/appletsolargeom/AppletSolar_en.html

has a Java applet which gives a graph showing the altitude as a function of solar time. The altitude and azimuth are given numerically as you move the cursor across the time axis. Unfortunately, with my browser and the current version of Java it is using, some of the fields are overwritten with text, so it is a bit hard to use.

I'm not sure why my original google search yielded so little.

I've also found other sites giving all the relevant formulas, and if I get interested enough, I can write my own software to do what I want.

It would still be nice to see something with detailed three dimensional diagrams showing how the the correct (Coperinican) picture relates to the Ptolemaic picture of the sun moving about the Earth. The latter is what you see when you look up in the sky. I understood that completely at one point in all its subtle detail, but age and time take their toll.

Jeff,

The site you referred me to gives me a firewall error. I am behind a DSL/Cable router which provides a firewall of sorts through network address translation (NAT), but it shouldn't prevent packets from a distant web site from getting through. I think the problem is at the Navy web site. Either it isn't letting any non authorized users through or something about packets coming from a NAT system can't get through. I would be curious to know if others can get through.

Redshift is a mutimedia astronomy program available I believe from Amazon and other book sellers. I have version 4. While it provides a lot more information than you may want it will allow you to position yourself anywhere on the planet, pick any date, anytime of day and show you the position of the sun, 250,000 other stars, asteroids, comets and 40,000 deep sky objects. You can place a pointer on the sun or any other object and it will provide exact coordinates. Like I said, maybe a bit of overkill but, who knows, you might find it pretty fascinating as I have.

About access to aa.usno.navy.mil:

This is getting stranger and stranger. I have three computers, runing Linux and Windows, two of which as dual boot, all connected to my DSL/Cable router. I can't see anything about the router settings that could affect the situation, and I don't believe I've ever had this problem with a publicly available website. I've tried Windows 98 and Linux on each of two computers. I've tried Mozilla, which is similar to Netscape, and I've tried both Netscape and Internet Explorer. In all cases but one, I was denied access to the site. The one success was using IE, but when I tried again with IE, I was again denied access.

I wonder if some other people could try it with different browsers to see if I am unique. The only thing that occurs to me is that the site may have problems with browsers other than IE and after one attempt with a non-IE browser it excludes that IP address for some period of time.

The last time I needed that info I called my local planetarium. Astronomers have great tables for where and when thing are located in the sky. I associate with astronomers and know there are quite a few programs out there that work everything out. Check for a local astronomy club or store.

I'm unable to access the Navy site also. I have used it in the past.

The Nautical Almanac will not give the information you seek unless you solve a sight reduction problem in which case you would not need the Almanac. I believe the magazine "outdoor Photographer" publishes the info you seek...Richard

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the aa.usno.navy.mil home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Internet Explorer

If I try from home (cable - *****.co.uk) I get refused. If I log on to a server at work (DSL - *****.com) and try it from there, I get in OK...

The server at work runs NAT through a firewall, my home PC gets an IP address from the ISP (although I run it through Zonealarm - but I get the same result if I shut down ZA). Looks like it may be filtering based on IP addresses or possibly reverse DNS lookup (as the work firewall has an entry in DNS & my home PC does not).

Anyway - I came across a program called MoonCalc which is as the name suggests intended for tracking the moon, but it also has displays data for the Sun too. No graphics for the Sun transit tho.... http://www.starlight.demon.co.uk/mooncalc/

Cheers,