Posing stools and Tables

meagan_jameson

Hello, I'm in the process of starting a photography business and i was wondering

what everyone thinks of posing stools and tables. Any suggestions on a good

brand... go without even? I recently did a portrait shoot and we ended up using

a bar stool which worked out excellent for head shots, but the bar stool was

tan, And the background paper was black so we had to do some editing in

photo-shop. Any advice on what i can use to place my subject would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks

Meg

Meagan,

I've shot at studios that always used posing tables for formal head and shoulders portraits, and at other establishments that never used them. Personally, I prefer to use an adjustable stool and posing table for my classic portraiture, but I shoot almost all of my less formal stuff with neither the stool nor the table. As Ron said, a table locks your subject into position and this was far more important when people shot portraits using 5X7 inch view cameras with their very limited depth of focus. A table also facilitates several arm and hand poses that would be otherwise be inconvenient to achieve. Tables can also reduce the common tendency for sitters to slouch, though many still manage to do so even when "locked in". I don't think a posing table and stool are necessary early purchases when outfitting a studio. I've used a Photogenic posing stool and table for about 10 years. They work fine. Other brands work fine too. I'm sure you can find some very creative substitutes for an adjustable stool and table. They just won't be as convenient. If you do go the table route, consider getting some pieces of fabric to cover the table in shades that match your backgrounds.

I worked for years with a tiltable drafting table in front of the subject and right under him close enough to lean on. The table had a big reflector on it which was my fill light. As for stool or chair, something without a back may easily be kept out of the picture.

• 1 year later...

<p>The answer is simple, cover the stool with black material you can purchase it cheap at a fabric store or wal mart. If you cannot do material a black paper draped loosely over will work fine. <br>

You can also use a plane folding card table with a nice drape over it. I have also used posing blocks on the floor stacked up and just posed the subject on the floor and used the blocks for the sitting pose.</p>