Posing Rules for Wedding Photography - Getting Ready Shots

timberwolf1

Have you

developed any particular visual placement rules or 'posing rules' for taking of photos before the wedding ceremony? Do you just "let the wedding day run" without any

styling or censorship or personal involvement? Do

you have any examples or your work?

Hello Timber...I'm just getting started so i don't know how much i have to offer. However, i shoot mostly PJ "Story Telling" syle and prefer the genuine spontaneous moments over the posed shots. Looking back in time, i feel the special moments have more to offer in terms of memories. I love the Dressing room shots....you can just feel the nerveousness/excitement of the moment - so here, and to answer your question, i just kind of let the moment roll.. However, before the ceremony, i do pick out about 3 places at every location that i feel would be the best to do the individuals/bride with groomsmen/groom with bridsmaid. I ask the couple which they preferr (there might be a spot that's special to them). If they don't have a preference, then i quickly make a judgment call. For examples, you can see my most recent "story", a easter weekend wedding can be found here - which includes preporation/before ceremony shots:

http://www.essentialmomentsphotography.com/sryoungmain

Kindest Regards,

Jammey Church

I save the structured poses for the limited number of formals I

shoot. I might occasionally ask people to hold their pose for a

few extra seconds when shooting candid shots, but that's rare.

The vast majority of shots are made with no direction from me.

Timber

Excellent questions. "Capture the moment & mood." is my motto. BUT

I always make sure to "get" a shot of the bride with Dad (if possible) and Mom. I try to put a positive spin on the settings, don't shoot if she's crying or upset or angry (at least don't let it show too much).

One posed shot I've done a lot is the bride looking out the window (by natural light with just a touch of fill), becuase the mothers love it! Another is to do something special with the bride alone and the engagement ring. Candle light works well, seated with an overhead spot, anything I can think of... Because it makes a great opening shot for the album.

As for censorship... not sure what you mean here... I do what the bride wants, but they are usually so busy I just keep out of the way and shoot what comes along. Up to 15 min before I leave for the church, then I do my couple of set shots, ask if she wants anything in addition, and then get out of the way.

Is that what you were asking?

Greg