Posing full figured brides

kevin_mahoney1

<p> . . . as well as the general details I outlined in the link above: for the Bust Shots, and even half shots - considering the Double Chin, you should especially shoot slightly higher and also with a slightly longer lens – for example I would likely use an 85 on a 5D for a Bust Shot , but in this scenario I would use the 135.<br>

Also: bust ¼ Profile and Face front on, would be my Starting Point . . .<br>

To achieve your aim, it will do well for you to minimize the look of the chin- BEFORE you get to Photoshop.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Reminds me that one of the things that always makes a double chin look even worse, is a flash shadow. The least contrast/ratio, softest lighting you can get away with here. This is contrary to the thought that a higher ratio with short lighting will make the face slimmer. I think it depends on the kind of double chin. Some are primarily just below the actual chin, and some are spread well on either side of the chin. The latter type is harder to deal with.</p>

<p> . . . when I was writing I was thinking of the Classic "Bride looking through Window" Bust Shot - usually a shot I would pull with Available Light and or a simple reflector, maybe - in this case a Flash through a brolly would be a good idea, for example, to soften that lighting out and bring down the Lighting ratio of the window light to the ambient inside room light.</p>

<p>Also a skilled make-up artist is an asset, a bad one is a liability: and the hairstyle does have a great impact especially on the sideways chin mentioned.</p>

<p>These two points you may or may not be comfortable in discussion with the Bride, apropos her preparation.<br>

WW</p>

William and Nadine gave you some great advice. I really like the idea of a makup artist working with the double chin. I was recently in Venice Beach, here in California shooting a body builder contest. It was really interesting how the pale posers would have a sun tan sprayed on them, even spray to enhance the 6 packs! It was actually really fun to watch these artists work. Anyway, getting a good makeup artist to help her out is a really good idea.

I think I would also use the liquify tool in PS, but be careful here. If you use it be aware that you may have to do this on a lot of images and getting each image to look the same will require several hours of retouching. I usually won't retouch, except for her bridal shots, or do it if they want to make an enlargement.

<p>The Liquify tool for PS is one that must be used with great care. You don't want to either offend your client, nor to make them look "unreal". You get there in CS2 this way: Control/Command > Shift > X. <br>

As for how to pose, never facing the camera directly (think 45 degrees). Preferably with the camera on at least the same plane as, or better yet, above the brides face. Elbows away from the body, bent. Drop on shoulder toward the cam a little, but just a little, and have her raise her chin a touch.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

If you edit out a chin, beware that you may just make her mad. Maybe she doesn't mind looking like herself. Focus on

getting her to relax and capture her personality in her face. I have photographed many plus sized people and made it fun.

They loved the results because it represented them and not some cookie cutter idea of what a bride should look like. I

have seen images of brides with to much Photoshop and they look like bobbleheads.

<p>Did she specifically ask to have a double chin edited out? Also keep in mind this is often not a quick fix. It's not like fixing a blemish with the cloning tool in a fraction of a second. It takes a while and some skill. If she is expecting this on every photo, you should probably ad in an editing fee. If she didn't specifically ask for it though, I wouldn't do it. My guess is that won't be the first time to she had her picture taken or looked at herself in a mirror.</p>

<p>I agree with Aura-if you develop a really great rapport with the bride and get her to relax, her smile and personality should be such an overwhelming part of the images that a viewer won't even notice her weight. <br>

I also agree with 3/4 view and low contrast lighting-minimizing the amount of work to do in PS will not only make better images, but save you tons of time.</p>