Portraiture Books

joe_willmore

<p>My preferred mode of learning is reading (or more specifically: books). I don't learn as well through workshops or video.<br>

I'm interested in recommendations for really good books about improving portraiture or portrait shooting. I'm not talking about examples of great portraits (like a book that is basically a portfolio of the work of Yosuf Karsh or Annie Liebowitz). But what books have you found that focused on portraiture that you found to be especially useful and education and informative?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I find "The Photographic Portrait" by Robin Gillanders very helpful. But shooting portraits without understanding human character and face aspects doesn't takes anyone too far. That's where we need to probe deep into what Yosuf Karsh or Annie Liebowitz or any other of that creed accomplished. You may also find FACE: The New Photographic Portrait by William A. Ewing very interesting.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>"Looking A Photographs" by Szarkowski - not a "how to" but one of THE best books ever written on how great photography is put together and includes a dissection of the work of many of the greatest potraitists of the 20th century... Often the "why" is far more important than the "how" in making a good portrait...<br>

Matt<br>

<a href="http://www.pittsburghfilmphotographer.com/">http://www.pittsburghfilmphotographer.com/</a></p>

• 3 months later...
<p>Steve--I agree that there is no substitute for actually "doing" something. But to argue that acquiring some background knowledge or information in conjunction with the "doing" will contribute nothing? That's a bit of hyperbole don't you think? </p>

<p>Actually, it really helps to have some understanding of the scope of portraiture and what makes them successful or not. I don't think "how-to" books are the right solution but looking at books of great portraiture, or finding it in the museum - Avedon, Disfarmer, Rogovin for example - will often give some idea of what makes for successful portraiture. Just random shooting won't do it.</p>