Portrait - Can you guess what she's like?

robertfarnham

Not much to go on Bob. From the half-smirk, I would say she has a slight sense of humor but is not necessarily an entirely fun person because of the crossing of the arms. Maybe she is sadistic in a way? Crossed arms is a pose typically associated with moms just before they tell you to go to your room because you were bad...

Seriously, when you ask character questions, I think "Would she pay for that item if there was no one tending to the store?" To me, that is a test of character, and this implies nothing to me.

I like the photo, but I don't know what you want us to infer about her character...

"Can you guess what she's like? "... yes I can <i>guess</i>, but that would reveal nothing about her and a lot about me... and <i>you</i> for even asking this question in the first place. And my odds of being right would probably be as good if I didn't even look at the photograph.<p>I think I can surmise more about you from this exercise (and I'll certainly have more fun): you're hetero sexual, possibly married or recently seperated from a serious committed relationship. You like and respect women but put them on a bit of a pedestal and are intimidated by their beauty, you'd like to be a professional photographer doing editorial or corporate photography and you have some interest in figurative and fashion photography, but haven't yet developed the confidence, or the skills to actually look for these jobs, or to ask women to sit for figurative work... but you soon will. They will love your photographs, and you'll keep your hands on the camera. You will marry a beautiful woman (again?), who will refuse to be photographed. You won't care... t (I used to write for a fortune cookie company and J.Peterman)

Thanks for all for the interesting comments. I asked the question because I recently had a discussion with someone about what key ingredients are required to make a good portrait vs simply make a good photo. The topic of identifiable character or personality came up, naturally. I was testing this particular photo for the sheer hell of it.

To Steve Levine - I wish I could raise the key light - this is an unfortunate side effect of my low basement ceiling. My wife wouldn't appreciate migrating my makeshift studio to the upper reaches of our house.

Yes, Tom, I am married. Yes, she doesn't particularly enjoy being photographed, as you can tell from the look on her face here: http://www.photo.net/photo/1414154 The other inferences you make about me are close: pedestal? - yes it's true I love women...guilty as charged; intimidated? - I think I'll need to be around far more beautiful women to truly test this one out - I'll get back to you; wanna be a pro? - well don't a lot of people who haunt this site?; confidence? - I'd love to have more but I don't know if I could handle the responsibility; skills? - working on 'em - and your additions to this site have helped quite a bit thank you very much.

I won't tell you anything at all about Karolyn. More fun that way :)

hi

other then correcting the colours, i love creating black and white photos noworries about colour balancing, but on that question whether I can tell what her character is like?

can only tell from what's she's wearing, a plain black shirt, maybe an actor even, what her expression on her face is usually telling, confident, dunno about stud thoughts, maybe more a neutral gaze of no-comment, definately has an air about her of being all about time is money and dead honest stare

relaxed enough do a casual photo, maybe a reflection is cast of the photographer in all our portraits, confident but low key in whatever mood we happen to be at the moment, energy is felt by the model and vice versa, just a thought, who knows where thoughts come from they just appear:)

cheers

phil

Robert, I like your shot. I could easily see it in a corporate annual report where the

company was trying to convey approachability while retaining some decorum.

I like this woman's face a lot. She appears intelligent to me and subtly witty which makes

her quite appealing and adds dimension to her beauty. The other poster may be right in

that reveals more about me than her. But, the photo isn't about me it's about her, so you

have to take it on face value (no pun intended).

The blue cast to your shot may be somewhat the result of spill from the background as

well as your need to calibrate your monitor.

Nice shot because it shows some character in the face rather the emptiness often seen in

portraits.