Portfolios

<p>I am curious to hear comments on what people consider to be the optimal size for an online photographic portfolio. There is always a temptation to load up dozens of favourite images and I am as guilty as anyone else for doing this. But what might be the appropriate number of images to give people a good representation of a photographer's body of work, without boring or overwhelming the viewer? </p>

<p>When I go to view someone's work and there are hundreds of images, I really don't take the time to really look at many of them. I use PNet to winnow down my portfolio to about a dozen images. Right now, mine is a bit larger, until I weed them out to around 12 again. </p>

<p>It is a personal choice for you. I have a hope that people visiting will spend some time with my images ( probably very unrealistic). Some of my shots are 4x5 and they display at or smaller than the negative size, so the amount of detail you would see at a quick glance is pretty minimal. Some images have very subtle things going on. It depends on what you photograph.</p>

<p>I'm responsible for serious abuse when it comes to the size of my portfolio. It counts almost 1000 photos most of which are surely serious candidates for being deleted. But which ones ?<br>

I tend to leave photos that have been blessed by comments from friends passing by and others that no-one seems to remark are among my favorites. But still a thousand photos in a portfolio is surely not helpful as size if the objective is to help visitors getting a rapid impression of what sort of amateur photographer I am. That PN only show a few, unless you ask to see them all, is of course some kind of solution to abusers like me.<br>

I have tried one way of getting across the problem by creating a modest exposition folder with some few thematic photos , but I did not have the impression that many went to that folder more than to others. </p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1811882"><em>Milo G</em></a><em> </em><a href="../member-status-icons"></a><em>, Sep 19, 2009; 12:10 p.m.</em><br>

<em>I am curious to hear comments on what people consider to be the optimal size for an online photographic portfolio. There is always a temptation to load up dozens of favourite images and I am as guilty as anyone else for doing this. But what might be the appropriate number of images to give people a good representation of a photographer's body of work, without boring or overwhelming the viewer?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Milo, I limit portfolio size to twenty, max.<br>

A dozen would be fine, I have five posted here.<br>

There is a phonomenon called 'gallery fatigue', you know the rest, I'm sure.</p>

<p>Bill P.</p>