Portfolio vs. galleries

gungajim

Am I the only one confused by this topic?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Am I the only one confused by this topic?

I am still very confused about the interaction between these two.

• If you upload an image and don't specify a gallery, the image goes into your portfolio but not into a gallery?
  • If you upload an image and specify a gallery for the image, it will be visible in both your portfolio and the specified gallery?
  • If you don't specify a gallery at upload time, and it goes to your portfolio, you can assign it to one or more galleries once it is in your portfolio?
  • If you delete an image from your portfolio, will it also be deleted from any galleries in which it appears?
  • If you delete an image from a gallery, does it remain in your portfolio and any other gallery in which it appears?
  • If you delete an image from all the galleries in which it appears, is it deleted from your portfolio?
  • Are there any other questions related to this topic that I should be asking?

I

JDM,

Of all people, I would have thought you could have answered these questions. I thought there were Forum Moderators who are not involved in the Salvage Operation who were answering questions like mine. However, they all appear to be on the lamb.

An admirer of Elitist, Jim

Be patient, or hope that somebody else will actually know.

But right now the staff here are definitely up to their asses in alligators trying to make the new interface work........

Sure, and the Tooth Fairy leaves quarters under the pillows of small children... :rolleyes:

It appears to me as if all progress or further attempts to fix anything screeched to a halt a couple weeks ago. What has been broken or semi-functional in the "Galleries/Portfolio" side remains so. I have seen far too many posts to date FROM the moderators questioning what the deal is. Don't look there for much help. Even Leslie seems to have thrown up his hands and gone on sabbatical... :(

I became brave yesterday--girded my loins, and uploaded a number of images for the first time in many months. Then went about the business of trying to sort the mess out in numerous galleries. A lot of things still do not work or are extremely funky. I got json errors on trying to delete images--some could not be deleted at all and I had to hide them in the library. Don't bother entering all of that info when uploading--it will be all gone when you finalize the upload. Wait and do it image by image in the library or galleries.

• If you upload an image and don't specify a gallery, the image goes into your portfolio but not into a gallery? RIGHT

• If you upload an image and specify a gallery for the image, it will be visible in both your portfolio and the specified gallery? YES

• If you don't specify a gallery at upload time, and it goes to your portfolio, you can assign it to one or more galleries once it is in your portfolio? YES. ONLY ONE GALLERY AT A TIME. AVOID DUPLICATES--THEY ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF

• If you delete an image from your portfolio, will it also be deleted from any galleries in which it appears? PRESUMABLY, AND THAT SEEMS THE CASE. TRY THE LIBRARY FUNCTION. THIS IS ALL CONTINGENT THOUGH ON A NUMBER OF FACTORS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE TIME OF DAY, THE WEATHER, CERTAIN ASTRONOMICAL CONFIGURATIONS, AND SERENDIPITY. YMMV...

• If you delete an image from a gallery, does it remain in your portfolio and any other gallery in which it appears? DON'T KNOW. THIS SHOULD DISAPPEAR IT. SEE COMMENT ABOVE

• If you delete an image from all the galleries in which it appears, is it deleted from your portfolio? PERHAPS. PLEASE SHAKE THE MAGIC 8-BALL ONCE MORE FOR ANOTHER ANSWER.

• Are there any other questions related to this topic that I should be asking? LOTS, BUT SOME COULD MAKE YOUR HEAD EXPLODE. THIS IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Thank you Papa. I thought about doing what you did but since part of my real job involves debugging software, I couldn't bear the thought of doing it in my free time. You are such a font of wisdom JDM!

Font? Like Comic Sans? :p

Jim, I develop PHP web sites and resources--and the 3 month agony we have experienced here at PN is nothing short of incredible and bizarre. We are all early beta testers, and there is no github repository of updated builds to draw on for fixes... :confused:

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!