Portfolio Review Request

simon_hickie1

<p>Hi All.<br>

This is my first post on this forum for a while. I typically shoot at only one or two weddings/receptions a year, ranging from 'Guest With A Camera' through 'We'd Like you to take a few snaps' to 'Can you start at 6 in the morning? - We will be finished by Midnight'. Wedding gallery at http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1055498 - best viewed in reverse order. I have no real issues kit-wise (Olympus OM-D and a couple of fast primes plus slowish zooms; Nikon D7000 18-70mm &Tamron 90mm macro; on-brand speedlights for both bodies (FL-50 and SB800 both with lightsphere type attachments and flash brackets).<br>

<br />I'm aware that I tend to frame a bit too tightly and perhaps use too small an aperture at times to isolate the subject. I'm generally OK with more formal poses if they are wanted by the B&G (not much evidence in the portfolio I know), but am not a fan of 'cheesy setups'.</p>

<p>I am shooting for a friend's daughter at the end of August, so would appreciate some comments on my wedding images. Thanks in advance.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>There is no feel of a clear intent of what you are trying to say with the image. They are if I may be frank a series of snap shots that any one with a camera can do, so it would not be good portfolio material. What you show should be what is you want some one to see, what is not in that should be excluded by shooting tighter or by change in angle and composition. I have shot weddings commercially with a D70 and its kit 18-70 for 75% of the shots with the balance using a 80-200 or a 12-24 it is not about equipment. <br>

I would suggest googling wedding photographers and visiting some sites to see what other pro an shooters are doing. Or checking the local pros websites to get some idea what is the standard like If you are the primary for this, it time you sat down and thought thru this in great detail. It is doable I did my first wedding at age 14 on film, but I was not shooting primary, the main guy had a hard day simply because he was shooting on auto pilot to get the most done with the very least effort. My friends sister after 40 years still loves what she got from me.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for your honest appraisal.</p>

<p>Ellery, I have looked at what local pros do. I have seen a lot of things I don't like, such as shadows to the side of people's faces, blocked up shadows in eye sockets, what I call 'cheesy poses', amputated feet and odd angles that in my opinion add little to the image. Your kit advice is welcome - I've found the 18-70mm to be quite serviceable.</p>

<p>It may be different in the USA and Singapore, but here in the UK, many people are looking for images that are sharp and well exposed more than something 'artistic'. In other words, people generally look for a decent record of the event.</p>

<p>I have a pretty comprehensive shot list from the B&G, so that part of the planning process is looking good. I'll be scouting the venues in advance to will have a good idea about lighting and backgrounds. I know they want 'informal' images but with particular family groups. </p>

<p>I was at a wedding a few weeks ago where the primary was a £1500 ($2500) minimum guy (excluding prints). If he had been photographing my wedding, I'd have been rather disappointed. My wife certainly preferred my images (as guest with a camera) to his and the groom's mother thought them 'marvellous'. Interestingly, there were relatively few guests there with cameras, a reflection perhaps of the importance people place on wedding photographs here in the UK!</p>

<p>Developing a style is something I need to work on, so time to go into thought mode.</p>

<p> </p>