Portfolio Critique

tim_foster4

Hi all. I'd like some opinion on my portfolio (I use that term loosely), which

can be found here: www.timothyjohn.com. I clearly don't have a real "vision"

yet, but I'd really like to get into fashion photography and would like some

honest opinions of what works and doesn't. Thanks for any input.

-Tim Foster

Hi Tim: I think you have some very beatiful and interesting work. A little all over the place (editoral, fashion-ish, nudes, etc.), but all in all a nice body of work. Some favorites: 5 (this one I loved--really got my attention),8,13,14,22,27

IMHO: 2 and 26 feel like well lit mug shots. The bird shots came out of no where....."nice, interesting, beautiful, wow--bird,...." 17 would be more interesting to me (and this just might be me) if the feet were your focus and not the backside. It would just feel less obvious. 6 is about the only one that didn't do anything for me. Don't know why, just didn't. 1 I would love, if there was more of a use of thirds. I want to like it, but, again, it just feels obvious.

I would be very proud of this work. I like your style, your lighting, and you have a very talented eye. If you were near me (are you?), I'd hire you to do my headshots.

Best of luck!

Lynsey

solid work. the desaturated landscape image on your home page doesn't seem to represent your work or say anything about you as a shooter so I'm not sure why it was chosen. Personally I think two of the images in your 'recent' page are stronger than any in the portfolio.

<p>Some very good work but I think you need to work on editing your portfolio.</p>

<p>After I saw the 6th or 7th similar headshot of a bored looking guy I almost left your

site, but then I came across your fashion shots which made me stay. Your fashion stuff is

really pretty good; stylistically and conceptually on target for editorial use, but will do you

no favours if nobody stays on your site long enough to see it.</p>

<p>I'd suggest reworking your portfolio to concentrate on your stronger work. Some of

your headshots are weak - I'd guess that your style has evolved quite quickly, and some

are probably your earlier work. If you're serious about doing fashion then you need more

shots in similar vein, exploring composition and narrative a little more. And in some ways

the edgier the better, otherwise you won't distinguish yourself from the crowd.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with the above posts. The front page of your site is completely disjointed from the photo style, theme and even the background color of the page. I was underwhelmed and frankly this undermines your talent.

Also, yes, your fashion work is your strongest. Get rid of everything else and specialize your work towards fashion photography. More is not more, it's distracting and works against your stronger pieces.

I was wondering about this picture:

http://www.timothyjohn.com/gallery/album/june5/slides/DSC_0253.html

the theme is indeterminable and the banister looks as if it's awkwardly growing out of the model's body, but this image works for me because of the beautiful lighting. Superb!I was just wondering what you used? Off-shoe flash gun? Studio strobe? Reflector?

Please let me know.