If you want a portable version of Photoshop that isn't bogus, you'll need to reach back to PS6 and maybe PS7 (before CS and all this activation nonsense started).<br><br>

If you have one of those versions installed on your computer, you can simply drag the app folder onto a USB stick and then it will run on whatever computer you later plug your stick into. This for sure works on Windows, don't know about Mac.<br><br>

Of course you'll do without ACR for RAW files and there'll be no plugins (actually, there might be a way to make some plugins work but I haven't bothered). You obviously won't have all the latest bells and whistles either. But you *will* have a lightweight version of PS for edits that will do (for me at least) about 85-90% of everything that really needs doing anyway.<br><br>

And, for RAW, I just use the free Fastone viewer to sort my nef files and then save them out as tifs or jpegs for Photoshop when I need to go that route.

<p>When Computer Swap Meet business was so popular in Pomona County Fairgrounds, ages ago, there was a vendor selling there Photoshop Version 7 on a CD disc, for mere $39. </p>

<p>This was the last version of Photoshop that was easy to highjack. All supposedly OEM copies had the same serial number and an unlock key, sold without any hardware to accompany the OEM idea (Original Equipment Manufacturer). The Internet connection for version 7 was not necessary, and any product registration was optional.</p>

<p>It is not suprising that Adobe had to do something to stop this OEM that was a plain theft, and force people to require with subsequent version releases, either phone calls or Internet registration and activation.</p>

<p> </p>

"It is not suprising that Adobe had to do something..."<br><br>

All they did was inconvenience legitimate users while the pirates continue unabated. For photographers who work in the field away from internet connections and telephones (yes, this is still possible), having Adobe's licensing suddenly stop working is no small issue. I know at least two working pros who, at least until recently, had fully legitimate versions of Photoshop and yet used "cracked" versions on their laptops just to avoid such a fiasco.

<p>All they did was inconvenience legitimate users while the pirates continue unabated<br>

It applies to other programmes too ... just downloaded a programme to be up-to-date ... code doesn't work .. killed off the earlier version that had been working perfectly .... help source tells me to do things which are not on my version of the OS. A right B....<br>

I gather some Russian pirates get you to send them the 'question code' while you hold the programme open and they send you the 'answer code' within the hour. So why do firms bother, it just hinders the honest and doesn't the dis-honest.</p>