Portable off camera flash for cheap - does it exist?

andy_curtis

<p>I have been reading quite a bit about lighting equipment recently,

but I cannot find much information about portable studio-like

equipment. I basically want an off camera system that will allow me to

get even lighting for portraiture. Here's the requirements,</p>

<ol>

<li>Allow me to shoot with apertures between 4 and 11 (I don't really

need to go any smaller) outdoors with reasonable film speeds (100-400

ISO)</li>

<li>Provide even lighting (I am particularly interested in a softbox)</li>

<li>Powerful enough to do this in a bright, outdoor scene</li>

</ol>

<p>So, would a Vivitar 285 (or two) fired into a small softbox work? I

am trying to do this as cheap as possible, but fear that the Vivitar

wouldn't be powerful enough. I am considering an AlienBee with their

battery pack, but it's heavier and much more expensive.</p>

<p>Anyone have an recommendations for a cheap, portable flash system

for portraits?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

It's not hard to reach f/8 or so at ISO 100 with a Sunpak 383

fired into an umbrella at close headshot distances. Whether this

is enough to overcome bright ambient light depends on your sync

speed and just how bright the ambient light is. Posing the

subject in open shade will be helpful. Keep in mind,

if you DO vastly overpower direct sunlight, your background will

probably go dark unless you light it separately.

<p>

If you're going for full length shots or if you want more

insurance to overpower direct sunlight, you'll eventually

want something more powerful than a flash designed for on-camera

use.

you stated your demands clearly and i understand that you want a cheap ac independent studio quality strobe system.

even a metz 45 at full power isnt strong enough for a f 8 or 11 (full length with scrim). that means you can use a metz 70 wich is pretty expensive or something like a pro 7b wich is pretty damn expensive. too expensive in my opinion. bowens has a new system wich is also belt mounted like the metz but wich lets you use different reflektors and softboxes.

but excuse me to go off topic a bit, you can buy so many strobes for the price of a pro7b.

if you want power, quality and dont pay too much and even carry less weight, buy monoblocks.

so many times i see photographers using their heavy accu system without pilot lamp even when there is ac acessible.

think about it. if there is a chance to use ac, even with 50m of extension cord, use it !

you can pay 2500? for a accu system with one head or 2000? for 3 monoblocks. and lots of extension cords.

A small flash in a soft box will be the same as thru a diffuser. A bare bulb which bounces off the sides of the box and then thru the diffuser will be different. A tranlucent umbrella will fill the bill as a diffuser. This will work nicely for inside work too. use one and a large styrofoam panel as a reflecter for the fill on the opposite side of the umbrella. By large i mean 4x4 ft.

Lowell DP lights into their heat resistent umbrellas are great for portrait work inside. It is not like putting a 10" reflecter on the model and making him squint and you can see what you are doing and exactly what you will get. I have done hundreds of portraits this way and the Normans sit on the shelf.

<i>"Anyone have an recommendations for a cheap, portable flash system for portraits?</i>"<p>Yes and <a href="http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=SL&cid=51&sid=newused&crid=9496647"> here it is</a>: LUMEDYNE SYS 244 WITH 065 PACK, 025 BATTERY, 002 HEAD/REQS CHARGER, STUDIO OUTFIT $254.00. Look about half way down the page. This is a 200 ws pack.<p>But you'll need a flash meter, an umbrella, a stand and a sync cord. <p>Your problem in using any flash system in a "bright, outdoor scene" is not so much the power of the strobe as it is your fastest sync speed. Even with the most powerful strobe lighting, a top sync speed of 1/125th will force you to use small apertures in bright sun. Reflectors work well in bright sun and require no particular shutter speeds... t

• 4 years later...