Portable Medium Format Camera

john_doe112

<p>I'd like to read about medium format cameras that are good for shooting portrait stuff. Most likely in 6x7 (but I guess there isn't any apart from the heavy pentax67).<br>

I have a 500c/m with 80mm and it should be lighter than that. The Pentacon Six TL (right, also 6x6) isn't from what I read.</p>

<p>If you want light, look at the Mamiya 7, it's a 6x7 rangefinder and quite small. Otherwise, in the rangefinder department there's the Plaubel Makina, but my favorite in the lightweight (and mystical) area are the Rolleiflex cameras. Another to consider, a bit bulky but relatively lightweight are the Fuji Rangefinders, i used to shoot the 690 with the 90mm and loved it.</p>

<p>Overall, I would say that a vintage Rollei would be best if you don't have to get closer than about 4 feet from the subject, and will use natural light. From the late 50s or after that. The earlier ones are a little less sharp. For a light modern camera I agree that the Mamiya 7 is a good choice.</p>

The Fuji/Voigtlander 6x7 folder is probably the most portable high-quality option you can find. The Pentax 67 is actually pretty portable; it's no bigger than the current crop of high-end digital SLRs.

Just make sure you check the minimum focus distance if you plan to do tight portraits; the Mamiya 7, for instance, doesn't focus close enough for head shots.

<p>Not sure where you read that the Pentacon Six TL is heavier than a Pentax 67. In 6x6, it's probably the smallest and lightest SLR ever made, and its unquestionably lighter than any 6x7 SLR. Put a 120/2.8 MC Biometar on it for portraits on the go.</p>

<p>In 6x4.5cm, a Mamiya 645 with a 110/2.8 lens. This is one of my favourite combinations - bright and great handheld. Or a Pentax 645 with a 150/3.5.</p>

<p>In 6x7, can't speak from experience, but a Bronica GS1 with a 150/4 lens might be lighter than a Pentax 67 with 150/2.8 or 165/2.8 lens? Certainly lighter than the RB67 and RZ67.</p>