portable lumedyne heads convert ???

ken_mccray

I agree that Lumedyne batteries are a major rip-off but may I suggest that you instead open up your dead batteries (they open easily with a screwdriver) and replace the cells yourself. This is about 1/4 the price of having it done by Lumedyne and you can even use better cells that hold more pops.

There are several services that will do this for you for a price about 1/2 of Lumedyne's and you should be able to find them with a good web search.

BTW...some (but not all!) Interstate Battery dealers will do this too.

Brian

Lumedyne batteries are expensive, but they certainly do the job. I will investigate alternatives to a factory rebuild when the time comes, but all their other services to me have been reasonably priced and quickly done. No complaints here. <p>I think you can adapt Lumedyne heads to Quantum packs. But that seems to negate the best things about both systems. Quantum tops out at 400 ws and the auto control module of Lumedyne is clumsy. Lumedyne can be stacked up to 2400 ws and they have different ac adapters (which Quantum doesn't). I believe Quantum has thyristor control sensors in their heads, Lumedyne needs a separate module. Since I work with a flash meter and digital, I'm staying with Lumedyne... t

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see Lumedyne batteries as being a 'ripoff' either. All of the secondary power supplies that seem to be worth having tend not to be cheap. That being said, if you find a used lumedyne or quantum battery going for really cheap, assume it's near the end of its lifecycle and factor in the cost of 're-celling' it. I haven't had a chance to use him yet myself, but I've heard good things about www.dasaga.com, and his quotes for re-celling batteries seem reasonable.