Popular Photography magazine to close doors after 80 years.

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by marc_bergman|1, Mar 8, 2017.

1. I just signed up. It says now going to 6 expanded issues per year. Nothing about closing the doors.

2. The decision to close down seems to have been made only today or yesterday.

3. I guess I better get a refund from them asap.

4. I'll miss it, although the high point for me was Keppler's editorship at Modern.

Here is one of the early subscription cards
    • Popular-Photography-1939-03-card.jpg

PapaTango likes this.
  5. I used to read Pop and Modern regularly. I leaned toward Modern and the regular columns but have gotten away from reading any of it these days. Sorry to see it going.

Rick H.

6. A very melancholy passing. The card JDM loaded reminds me of the old issues that I was handed off in the 60s--read by someone else and passed on to "the kid." I can still see the Spirotone, Exacta, Miranda, Soligar, and other ads screaming at me to buy from sketchy mail order companies! It was the same with such as Popular Mechanics and a host of other specialty interest mags that were out and catering to folks before the days of too many TV channels and dumbphones glued to the hand...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Digital editions are great for some, but like with books I prefer to turn pages and hold paper. I guess soon everything we read will be digital and in lines of 140 characters or less... :confused:

7. Gentlepersons,

It is popular amongst mealy-mouth, can't-do business organizations, some of them publishers, to blame their current failures on the internet, electronic media, digital cameras, and even the fact that people just don't appreciate them to the degree they should be appreciated. The real cause is poor business management, sloppy business practices, poor cash flow management, bad customer service, and the arrogance that comes from really thinking, deep down inside, that people should buy what they have to sell because they are, of course, themselves.

Popular Photography kept changing in a way and "reinventing" themselves and "improving" their format and depreciating their content until they became irrelevant. Maybe their higher-salaried people learned that in the same classes as did Sears and Kodak mis-managers, etc., etc., etc.

Modern Photography is missed. Herb Kepler and his various columns and editorship are missed. Today's Popular Photography won't be.

A.T. Burke

wogears likes this.
  8. Business practices of traditional vendors are not sloppy, just out of date.

The internet is especially tough on printed media, including newspapers, magazines, even junk mail. It doesn't stop there. Sears is on the brink (actually past) of bankruptcy. Pennies and Macies are closing dozens of stores, and shopping malls are plagued with vacancies.Publications I read, like Infoworld and Pro Audio Review went electronic ten years ago. I get Scientific American in the mail, but read the Kindle version. I can search the internet for reviews of equipment, including photo gear, that interests me, and get dozens of hits. Office supply companies no longer carry the things I need for business, at least in business quantities. I buy supplies from Amazon, from file folders and envelopes to pencils and rubber bands.

9. I stopped my subscription when Keppler passed away. There is nothing worth reading in today's Pop Photo any more. No I won't miss pop.

10. James  Dainis

James Dainis Moderator

I like the subscription card that JDM showed. That helps date the changes in photography. I don't think anyone has used the see-saw method of tray developing 120/220 film in the darkroom in decades. And that looks not unlike an old Federal enlarger, just a bulb, film holder and lens. Nothing fancy there.

11. Dunno but Conde Nast and strong editors managed to breath new life into the New Yorker and re-made it into a solid media platform. PopPhoto had no edge, voice or purpose beyond fawning "reviews," photo contests, and the very occasional tech tutorial that didn't require 5 mortgage payments worth of gear. Often took a copy from the library, read what mattered to me in a few minutes, and returned it wondering why I'd checked it out.

12. Being a film photographer the magazines have little of interest to me. I do not even take a quick look at the grocery market and would say it's been 10 or more years since I picked up a Popular Photography magazine. I do not subscribe to any magazines actually as they will dog you for years if you try one out.