Pop-Up Flash

alison_warren

<p>I just bought a Canon Rebel EOS T3i last weekend, and tried it out again today. When the flash was "preparing", it made a small buzz sound, almost like a current.. I didn't think it sounded good--common sense would probably suggest it's not great... But wasn't sure if that was normal for this camera or not? It still takes the pictures just fine, but the small buzz sound before the flash goes off has me a bit concerned? Suggestions? Insight!? Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>When it was "buzzing" was it also "flashing"?<br />And if it was doing both, then was the lens also attempting to achieve Auto Focus?</p>

<p>If yes - then that is all OK - it is the Flash "AF Assist" read p 86 for an explanation.</p>

<p>Read p 255 for info about the Custom Function, which controls it.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Merely means you have doggie ears and can hear the squeal of the capacitor charging up the popup. It's much softer than a shoe-mount unit but is clearly audible in a quiet room (at least to me, maybe not to Dead fans with blown eardrums). </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Haha.<br>

Well, with the score line 2 votes for the Capacitor and 2 votes for the AF assist . . .<br>

I hope the OP comes back and tells us the answer, as I thought of the capacitor but the word "buzz" is synonymous with the "a bee" . . . the capacitor has an high pitched, but low level "squeal" . . .<br>

Perhaps we need a facility to post audio bites.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I hope the OP comes back and tells us the answer...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>One-post members rarely do and, instead, usually leave us suffering with an unsolved mystery: buzz, squeal or zap...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter